From Paris to Lauterbrunnen by train or plane?

• Mbeaulieu726
    Participant
    17 posts
    29 June 2021 at 14:15:06 #825890

Due to Delta rerouting us, I have had to change our outbound flight. Originally we were coming into Zurich, but now we will be coming into Paris. We will be staying in Lauterbrunned for a week and then taking the TGV-Lyria out of Basel to Paris for week stay there. My question is when we land in Paris which route should we take to Interlaken (and ultimately Lauterbrunnen)? Our flight lands at 8am in Paris and we will have to go through passport control and collect our checked bags. There’s a SwissAir flight to Zurich that leaves Paris at 10am. Would we have enough time to catch that flight? Would we be better off taking the train from Paris, and if so, which route? Thanks!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    29 June 2021 at 14:44:07 #935521

Hi Mbeaulieu726,

Thank you for sharing your flight details with us. Based on past experience, a 2-hour window may not be enough time for you to catch the Swiss Air flight if it requires you to go through passport control and baggage reclaim first. Also, I think you might be arriving and departing from totally different terminals, and you have to consider the commuting time from one terminal to another. It’s best to check with the airline or airport authority for clarification on this.

I think taking the train is a good option. The TGV Lyria will get you from Paris Gare de Lyon to Zurich main station in 4 hours and 4 minutes. This is a direct train that travels via Dijon and Basel. From Zurich you can continue with the local train to Lauterbrunnen. You can check train schedules here: http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

For information about tickets from France to Switzerland, find more details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/france

Let us know if you need further information.

Regards,

Anna

Anna
    6355 posts
    29 June 2021 at 18:38:59 #935522

Hi Mbeaulieu726,

Just to add a little. If your final destination is Lauterbrunnen, you can just take the TGV Lyria to Basel, then hop on another train to Lauterbrunnen without the need to go all the way to Zurich.

Hope this gets you started

Regards.

Anna

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    30 June 2021 at 13:55:23 #935523

Delta rerouted you to a different country? I hope you are getting some compensation out of them for that.

Mbeaulieu726
    Participant
    17 posts
    30 June 2021 at 14:39:32 #935524

pkerr….yes, originally we were DTW-JFK-ZRH and on Monday they changed our outbound to DTW-JFK-AMS-ZRH. Trust me, I was not happy when I saw we only had 50 minutes in AMS. That’s not enough time!! So, I had them change our outbound to DTW-CDG. Delta will not be starting their JFK-ZRH service until 10/6. I’ll take that direct flight over a stop at JFK and AMS any day! My husband works for Delta and we usually fly standby but since I am taking my sister with me, I needed to get a positive space ticket.

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    30 June 2021 at 14:42:02 #935525

Ahhh. so no compensation for the country change?

Mbeaulieu726
    Participant
    17 posts
    30 June 2021 at 14:43:22 #935526

No. I purchased a discounted fare but I did get a small refund for the fare difference. I was on hold with Delta for 4.5 hours Monday evening and gave up. Called Tuesday morning and it took me a little over 2 hours to get a human on the phone. Ugh.

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    30 June 2021 at 14:46:29 #935527

Those are some long hold times. I heard about them. Glad I’m only flying domestically on SWA.

I would have thought with a change of such magnitude, you could get something out of them. I mean if I had made all my plans based on flying into ZRH and then they changed it to CDG, I be asking them “How am I supposed to get to ZRH?”

But since you are “connected” to Delta, that might not be possible (or practical)

Mbeaulieu726
    Participant
    17 posts
    30 June 2021 at 14:55:03 #935528

They didn’t change it to CDG, I did. I did not want to deal with 2 stops (especially in AMS with only 50 minutes until we would depart for ZRH). I’m ok with flying in to CDG. Been there before and have no worries. At least we have a direct flight and don’t have to share a row with anyone 🙂

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    30 June 2021 at 15:05:40 #935529

Ah… I see.

50 min in AMS? On an international flt? I wonder why they thought that was a good idea?

At least you were able to work it out.

Mbeaulieu726
    Participant
    17 posts
    30 June 2021 at 15:30:41 #935530

Yes. I know international flights come in a different terminal than the intra Europe flight. Plus to have to go through passport control, collect our checked bags, go and check in for KLM flight and then get to our KLM gate. Not happening here!! Glad it’s all switched and figured out.

• The thread ‘From Paris to Lauterbrunnen by train or plane?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.