From Switzerland to Munich – 14 day trip planning

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2018 at 14:18:36 #814612

Landing in Zurich around the 21st of September and planning on touring the Alp’s, then perhaps northern Italy (Como) and then off to Munchen for 4 days of the trip for Octoberfest.

This trip, for my wife and I, is our first European trip and we are overwhelmed by the endless possibilities of what to do. For the most part, we don’t want to feel too rushed or hurried. We thought our start of the trip would be to find a B&B in Lucern.

Explore lazily around for the first day in old town, sit down and have coffee on a patio, people watch and get acquainted with the time zone (we are travelling from Toronto, Canada). Then the next few days we would like to plan trips to do some of the following: “top of Europe”; hike wherever it’s beautiful; there is also a suspension bridge we saw posted; scenic drives (would love to see some castles); try the famous Swiss cheese & chocolate (is there a tour?). We are wondering if it makes sense to stay in Lucern or hear to the hills and stay in a smaller town.

Optimally, we would like to make our way to Lugano area, where hear it’s also beautiful but not sure how much there is to do. As well, we would like to be active, but not rushed. Somehow, from there, we are planning to head to Munchen for Octoberfest where we are meeting friends. I like the idea of driving and setting my own schedule and there appear to be so many places of interest along the way, perhaps stay in B&B’s along the way. I also imagine it would be very scenic as well and wonder if there are good places to stay, or can’t miss activities/photo opportunities (castles, waterfalls, scenery, old villages) along the way that you just can’t get from taking the train.

Finally, my wife and I don’t like to eat with all the tourists. We are a middle-class type of people and like to eat where the working class locals go to eat. We feel you get better portions and value for your money.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. We have lots of time to plan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2018 at 8:02:34 #877704

Hi Schlik, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

Lucerne is a very nice city to spend at least two days. It has a beautiful lake and spectacular mountains such as Mt. Pilatus and Mt. Titlis.

Jungfraujoch (Top of Europe) can be best visited from a small village close to Interlaken. Check out Wengen, Grindelwald, Murren, or Lauterbrunnen. The Bernese Oberland is also a good location for hiking.

Lugano is indeed beautiful. A very nice area to hike and the landscape is totally different from the Alps.

Many people would recommend to travel by train. We have information on our website about car versus train. In the end it’s a personal choice. You might want to have a look at the different rail passes that exist.

The blue words are clickable and will direct you to more information. I would also strongly recommend to use the search box at the top of this page. You will find threads restaurants, cheese and chocolate factories, photo opportunities with our members’ preferences.

When putting your itinerary together you may want to refer to Plan your trip and Attractions and other things to do in Switzerland. Feel free to share your itinerary at any time, so we can help to finalize it.

Happy planning!

• The thread ‘From Switzerland to Munich – 14 day trip planning’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.