Train Wengen to Varenna & Swiss Half Fare Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2018 at 17:39:07 #816187

Hello,

I need to make this trip on June 6th. I gather SBB is the site to make such reservations because while they have the Italian trains loaded, Trenitalia does not have the Swiss trains loaded.

While I want to get to Varenna early, it seems, the most efficient thing to do is to catch the 12:33 option (unless I am willing to leave around 7-8am.) In either case, as I was clicking through the process of making an advance purchase, when it came time to add passengers, I see a “Reductions” drop-down box to describe the discount a passenger might be entitled to. I have a month long/tourist Swiss Half-fare Card. However, the Half-fare option in the drop-down says “Half-fare travelcard 1/2/3 year”. Would I just select this option, or is this another instance of me trying to go through a reservation process meant only for Swiss residents?

Also, I will be traveling with a 10 year old child. Since I have a Family Card that came complimentary with the Half-fare Card, I would anticipate his travel for the Swiss leg is free. However, there’s no option to select Family Card for him in the Reductions drop-down. Plus, when I look at the final fare details, I see he is charged the same amount as I am for the Wengen to Brig leg.

Any clarifications regarding this would be quite appreciated.

Thanks,

Vishal

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2018 at 18:38:36 #886136

Okay, I have been doing more research. Perhaps what I need to do is buy the ticket from Wengen to Domodossola(I). It seems my Half-fare Card applies up to that place even though it is in Italy. Next, I could use TrenItalia to buy my Domodossola (I) to Varenna ticket. Also, it seems no change of train might be required in Domodossola if I take care to choose a matching route. E.g. the 12:33am departure from Wengen gets to Domodossola at 15:12 (EC 57). On Trenitalia, I could choose the 15:17 departure on EC 57 from Domodossola. Makes sense? I might have to change seats on the train because there’s reservation for the Italian leg, while none for the swiss leg. Correct?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 May 2018 at 22:21:55 #886137

You’ve worked it out pretty well. Maybe try to sit in or near your reserved seats up to Domodossola.

Unfortunately the SBB booking system is not really geared up for people travelling across borders with Swiss tourist travel passes. There are some none-intuitive ways of achieving the desired result but your method is best.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2018 at 22:31:45 #886138

Got it. Was also wondering if you had an opinion on the Luzern – Arth-Goldau – Monza route via the border crossing at Chiasso.

I am considering this other option because the check-out time in my hotel at Wengen is 10 am. The Chiasso route (leaving at 10:03) takes more time while getting me to Varenna only an hour earlier than the latter (12:33) route through Domodossola. There’s also an additional connection involved. Still, I was wondering if it wouldn’t be better to be sitting in a train than hang around in Wengen waiting for the 12:33 departure.

Thanks!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 May 2018 at 22:39:31 #886139

Yes, that will work and if you don’t mind a bit longer journey you could add via Göschenen and follow the Gotthard Panorama Express train route. The faster route goes via the 57km-long Gotthard Base Tunnel.

• The thread ‘Train Wengen to Varenna & Swiss Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.