Combine Supersaver and Half-Fare card?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2017 at 12:25:01 #810775

Hi,

I am going to trip to Switzland in May. I am considering to buy Swiss Half Fare Card.

I would like to know if I can take an advantage of 50% discount even for super saver ticket. Supposing the ordinary ticket price is CHF40 and super saver ticket price is CHF20, do I get the super saver ticket with

CHF10? If no further 50% discount is allowed on super saver ticket and I can buy the super saver tickets for all the train trip, Swiss Half Fare card is no worth. Am I right?

Your clear explanation would be much appreciated.

Regards

Kenny

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2017 at 14:43:18 #858862

Hi Kenny and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can indeed combine the Half-Fare Card with Supersaver tickets.

You will not be able to get SuperSaver tickets on every train you take however. The promotions come and go and are only on some routes and at some times of the day. The route you want may not offer the Supersaver price on the day or time you want/need to travel so the half-fare card is still worth it.

So if you have the half-fare card and find a good train for you with the Supersaver fare then you get an even better price.

Simply use the Swiss Railways timetable here and look for the connection you want. Once you select the train you want, the site will ask for your name and to select if you have a discount card. There you can see the final price.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2017 at 0:45:43 #858863

Thanks, Lucas.

If I buy the ticket at train station on the trip date, I would show Swiss Half fare card at selling point of the station and would be able to buy ticket with 50% discounted price of either ordinary ticket or super saver ticket available at that time. What if I wold be able to buy super saver ticket by buying one month before trip date? Is there anyway to get the 50% discount of Swiss Half Fard Card when or after I buy the super saver ticket?

Regards

Kenny

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 February 2017 at 10:22:44 #858864

Hi Kenny,

Please see here for how Supersaver tickets work. They are only available online, not at the station, and you need to buy them in advance. It won’t work just before you board. So it requires some planning, and you need to take the exact train you have booked. Once the ticket is purchased you can’t exchange it or get another discount.

With regular tickets there are no such limitations, and you will get a 50% discount on those with the Swiss Half Fare Card. The Swiss Half Fare Card offers an additional discount on Supersaver tickets, but not necessarily another 50%. It could be less.

Enjoy your trips!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2017 at 8:22:27 #858865

Hi Kenny,

Yes be careful with those Supersavers as Arno mentioned the pitfalls (it is more common for locals to use them I think). When buying online (if you choose to) just select the half-fare card discount.
    You can then buy it at the reduced rate (maybe not 50% as Arno mentioned) and then they will ask to see your Half-Fare card when checking your ticket on-board the train.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Combine Supersaver and Half-Fare card?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.