Geissbach Falls questions?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2011 at 12:19:18 #804327

It seems if we get to Interlaken, we can take a steamer to the Geissbach stop. Once we get off the steamer, are there trains that take you to the top where the hotel is?

If not, how do you get to the hotel? Once at the hotel, is it a nice place for lunch and would you recommend a reservation?

Then I assume you take the trains back down to the steamer?

If we want to walk back to Interlaken, or a portion of it – are there trails that are easily marked so we can follow the lake towards Interlaken and catch a steamer when we decide we get too tired?

tks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2011 at 14:38:33 #832927

Forgot to ask:

I read someplace that you can purchase a ticket – boat, funicular and meal at the hotel. Can you tell me where I could look into that? I looked at the hotels website, but found nothing.

tks

bean912
    Participant
    3 posts
    22 May 2011 at 21:42:48 #832928

You can take the boat from Interlaken to Geissbach Falls, then take the funicular to the hotel. I have had beverages outside at a little cafe there but never eaten in the restaurant. Once you get back down to the lake level (or you can start your walk at the hotel, I believe, there is a lovely path that will take you to Iseltwald and you can catch the boat to Interlaken from there. Iseltwald also has several restaurants. Have a great trip!

Arno
    15471 posts
    23 May 2011 at 14:21:14 #832929

Thanks for those tips bean912!

Cynthia: please be aware that not all boats on Lake Brienz are steamers (just to prevent disappointment). There’s indeed a funicular from the boat dock to the hotel. But it’s a really short ride. You can easily walk as well (I would estimate it takes 20 minutes). On your way back, you can walk along the lake to Iseltwald, Bönigen and finally Interlaken. Boats stop in those towns as well, but I would advice to take along a timetable as they don’t run that frequently.

I don’t know about a combined ticket, but I would say you don’t need it: I read from your other post that you have a Swiss Saver Pass, so the boat ride is free. And you would not need (part of) the return trip as you plan to walk.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2011 at 14:53:09 #832930

Thanks for the information. As long as we’re not paddling in a canoe, I won’t care too much what type of boat we’re on.:-)

I know the cogwheel is a pretty steep climb to the hotel – do you know if the walk is as steep or does the path zig zag so that it isn’t too steep? I’d prefer to walk, but want to make sure my mom can do it (she’s in reasonably good shape).

We will definitely walk back towards Interlaken – any idea how long the entire route would be?

Thanks again

Arno
    15471 posts
    23 May 2011 at 15:00:36 #832931

Hi Cynthia,

The path is not difficult. By the way, be sure to continue on after the hotel, so that you reach the mean waterfalls. There are signs, you can’t miss it.

I would estimate Giessbach – Interlaken at about 3.5 hours, without any breaks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2011 at 15:25:22 #832932

Perfect, thank you very much

• The thread ‘Geissbach Falls questions?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.