Gemmipass vs. Lotschental Panoramic Trail

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
sdaclark
sdaclark
3 posts
Aug 10, 2018 - 9:05 PM

We plan to hike the Oeschinensee Loop in Kandersteg and then stay overnight in Kandersteg. In looking at the next day, we have a reservation in Blatten in the Lotschental valley for the next night. We had originally planned to do the Lotschental Panoramic Trail that next day. However, in my research, I have read about the Gemmipass hike. While we don't have the time to go all the way from Kandersteg to Leukerbad (because we would be leaving our car at Kandersteg) the question is whether to do the Gemmipass hike before leaving the Kandersteg region that next day (we would begin and end at the Sunnbuel cable car) or go straight to the Lotschental valley and do the Lotschental Panoramic Trail that next day. I would appreciate hearing from people who have done both and a commentary on which one to do if , because of time, we could only do one of the hikes.

Lucas
Lucas
9298 posts
expert &
Aug 12, 2018 - 7:36 AM in reply to sdaclark

Hi sdaclark,

Sorry I can't give any personal experience as I haven't hiked in that area.

But you are thinking of doing the entire Gemmipass hike and then the Lötschental hike the next day?

The Gemmipass hike is a fair bit longer and more difficult than the Lötschental.

I'm guessig you may have read through these two pages for an overview of what to expect?

Snowman
Snowman
249 posts
Aug 12, 2018 - 9:27 AM in reply to sdaclark

< hearing from people who have done both >

Hi sdaclark,

It is unlikely that you find in this forum "people who have done both". Maybe you should widen your question. I think that, whichever alternative you select, you need to be in top physical condition to do these long hikes with your gear on your back.

sdaclark
sdaclark
3 posts
Aug 18, 2018 - 8:02 PM in reply to Snowman

May I ask you an additional question. I am from Canada and in our mountains, it is often difficult to hike in the mountains until late June or July. While I realize that it can change from year to year, what is you view of hiking some of these hikes in mid-June. Is it too early or are the Swiss Alps generally free of snow by then.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5084 posts
expert
Aug 18, 2018 - 9:11 PM in reply to sdaclark

<<"While I realize that it can change from year to year, what is you view

of hiking some of these hikes in mid-June. Is it too early or are the

Swiss Alps generally free of snow by then.">>

Obviously, a question of altitude and sun exposure, as well as the winter snowpack.

r example, the nice trail from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg at 2229 to 206i meters is usually but not always open by June 15th. Occasiojally much earlier. The first part is almost always open earlier, but where the trail passes Tschuggen, it is in the shade. So, it blocks the rest of the route.

To be sure, we usually say July will be OK.....

here is a super map for detailed informatuion. I have turned on the hiking trails overlay.

For the Jungfrau region:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,true&E=26 40410.00&N=1163520.00& zoom=6

For the Gemmi Pass:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=ech&lang=en&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.bav.ha ltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,true&E=26 16466.65&N=1138674.16& zoom=4

I'd say June 15th would be pushing the envelope. But, I've never done that trail.

Slowpoke

Last modified on Aug 18, 2018 - 9:15 PM by Slowpoke
Snowman
Snowman
249 posts
Aug 19, 2018 - 7:52 PM in reply to sdaclark

Hi Sdaclark,

I forgot that with modern technology, it is not necessary to have been there to answer the question. Just look at the webcam for Gemmi Pass:

en.swisswebcams.ch/web cam/1136217735-Gemmipass-Richtung-Alpens%C3%BCdkamm-Leukerbad-(3954-Gemmipass)_Wetter

Scroll down to "Player", and select the 12 month sequence ("12 mois"). It shows a sequence of shots over the past 12 months from the moment you view. You will see that in 2018, the area was pretty much snow free in June. Mind you, another year might be different. As Slowpoke says, July to September are safe.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018