Geneva Airport to Interlaken by car

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2019 at 12:27:58 #820478

I am coming to Switzerland on 21st March (After 2 days), and i will be landing to Geneva airport. I am coming with my family and have booked my Car.

Can you please guide me the route which i should take from Geneva airport to Interlaken. My landing time is 13:10 and by the time i leave from the airport it will be around 15:30.

Can you recommend what route i should take as i will be using google navigation. My aim is to reach interlaken before it gets dark.

Thank you in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2019 at 12:35:41 #906932

Hi Hakimbhura,

Nice to hear you’re coming to Switzerland.

To calculate routes by car in Switzerland I normally use:
    http://www.viamichelin.com

Also find some helpful and informative links for your journey here:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ca r
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ai rports/geneva
    http://www.myswissalps.com/in terlaken

Hope this helps.

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2019 at 13:05:32 #906933

Thank you very much, truly appreciate.

It gives us 2-3 options to reach Interlaken (from Geneva Airport), which route do you recommend? where kids can also enjoy the scenic view.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2019 at 13:20:12 #906934

You are very welcome!

The route via Bern is for sure the easiest and safest to drive as it’s mainly motorway.

The route I see via Broc, I’ve never driven it myself so I can’t share personal experience, but it seems to be quite a mountainous, curvy ride. It can be quite tiring and challenging driving in the mountains, depending on experience of course. You’re the one to answer this.

Kind regards,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2019 at 2:00:47 #906935

Follow the motorways A1, A9, A12 and A6

Genève Aéroport – Bussigny (J17 Ecublens) – J19 Villars Ste Croix – Vevey – Bulle – Bern – Thun – Spiez – Interlaken

You will not have time to do much scenery but going via Vevey will get you some views of the Lake Geneva and the mountains before you turn north towards Bern

In Switzerland, motorway routes and destinations are signed in green, so follow green destination signs all the way

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    20 March 2019 at 18:42:52 #906936

Hi Hakimbhura,

The sun will be going down around 18h45 on March 21 (that’s tomorrow !), so you will want to profit from the daylight as much as possible. If you get out of the airport with your car before 15h30, then that will be a bonus for you. You’ll be able to clear out of Geneva easily by taking the A1 (direction Lausanne). The A1 passes right beside the airport. When you get to 17 Écublens keep to the right in order to swing towards the north on the A1/A9. After about 2 kilometers, take the exit right (Villars-Ste-Croix) and you will now be on the A9. Continue on the A9 until you get to the exit (sortie in French) right 14 La Veyre. This will put you on the A12 which could take you as far as Berne.

One of the drags (IMHO) is that when you are zooming along on the Swiss autoroutes, you will find that there are precious few spots where you can get off if you want to (other than exits) and so the beautiful scenery (and you will see much of this as you drive from above Lausanne to Vevey) is very fleeting. I don’t mind the A routes when I am a rush to get from one place to another, but when I am exploring new areas I prefer to go on the smaller roads, where pulling off for whatever reason is so much easier.

Once you get to Düdingen (just past Fribourg) on the A12, check your time. If you still have an hour or so of daylight ahead, you might want to consider getting off the A12 here (exit 9 Düdingen) and taking an alternate route to Thun via Tafers, Schwarzenburg, Riggisberg, or Wattenwil. If the sun is still up and it isn’t raining, you won’t regret taking this route. On the other hand if it is already dark and/or raining, you might as well just stay on the A12 to Berne, and then pay careful attention to catch the A6 direction Interlaken. After Spiez you will be on the A8, but only 2 lanes instead of 4. (just keep your eye out for the word Interlaken). After Faulensee this A8 will merge with the old route 6 that runs beside the lake. Keep an eye on your speed here; I have a friend who was flashed along this final stretch.

• The thread ‘Geneva Airport to Interlaken by car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.