Geneva, Chamonix, Montreux in June

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2019 at 21:49:29 #824572

I am hoping to fly into Geneva next June and travel to Chamonix for 3 nights. Then I will travel to Montreux for 4 nights. Can I use half price Swiss Travel card from Chamonix.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6376 posts
    29 November 2019 at 22:05:28 #925837

Hi Trixie,

The Swiss Travel Pass and the Swiss Half Fare Card are two different railpasses. The Swiss Travel Pass will cover your train fares from Geneva up to the Swiss-French border but not all the way to Chamonix. Similarly, when you are travelling from Chamonix to Montreux, the Swiss Travel Pass is only valid from the border to Montreux. On the other hand, the Swiss Half Fare Card gets you discounted tickets (in general up to 50% off) when you travel on Swiss public transport.

For more information about these railpasses:

You can get point-to-point tickets to Chamonix. Further details are available here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france

Check out this link too:

Regards,

Anna

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 November 2019 at 23:07:55 #925838

Hi Anna,

Chamonix to Martigny (go on way to Montreux) is fully covered by the STP but not discounted with the SHFC is my reading.

Are things changing in 2020?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 November 2019 at 1:30:20 #925839

As of 15 December (I shall be there on opening day) things are changing in the Leman area with the opening of the Leman Express (LE) regional network. I have not yet discovered if ticketing will change.

Anna, in an exception to the normal rule, STP is valid Martigny – Chamonix due in part to the cross-border joint venture (Mont Blanc Express). It is just possible something like that will happen in the LE area

Anna
    6376 posts
    30 November 2019 at 8:18:54 #925840

hi Rockoyster, 1960man,

Thanks for the updates! Will do a bit more reading on that 🙂

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 December 2019 at 23:28:58 #925841

Thanks for all replies.

• The thread ‘Geneva, Chamonix, Montreux in June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.