Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Geneva, Chamonix, Montreux in June

Geneva, Chamonix, Montreux in June

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
trixie
trixie
9 posts
Nov 29, 2019 - 9:49 PM

I am hoping to fly into Geneva next June and travel to Chamonix for 3 nights. Then I will travel to Montreux for 4 nights. Can I use half price Swiss Travel card from Chamonix.

Anna
Anna
322 posts
top member &
Nov 29, 2019 - 10:05 PM in reply to trixie

Hi Trixie,

The Swiss Travel Pass and the Swiss Half Fare Card are two different railpasses. The Swiss Travel Pass will cover your train fares from Geneva up to the Swiss-French border but not all the way to Chamonix. Similarly, when you are travelling from Chamonix to Montreux, the Swiss Travel Pass is only valid from the border to Montreux. On the other hand, the Swiss Half Fare Card gets you discounted tickets (in general up to 50% off) when you travel on Swiss public transport.

For more information about these railpasses:

You can get point-to-point tickets to Chamonix. Further details are available here: www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france

Check out this link too:

Regards,

Anna

Last modified on Nov 29, 2019 - 10:10 PM by Anna
rockoyster
rockoyster
7837 posts
expert
Nov 29, 2019 - 11:07 PM in reply to Anna

Hi Anna,

Chamonix to Martigny (go on way to Montreux) is fully covered by the STP but not discounted with the SHFC is my reading.

Are things changing in 2020?

1960man
1960man
2318 posts
top member
Nov 30, 2019 - 1:30 AM

As of 15 December (I shall be there on opening day) things are changing in the Leman area with the opening of the Leman Express (LE) regional network. I have not yet discovered if ticketing will change.

Anna, in an exception to the normal rule, STP is valid Martigny - Chamonix due in part to the cross-border joint venture (Mont Blanc Express). It is just possible something like that will happen in the LE area

Anna
Anna
322 posts
top member &
Nov 30, 2019 - 8:18 AM

hi Rockoyster, 1960man,

Thanks for the updates! Will do a bit more reading on that :)

Regards,

Anna

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019