Geneva-Montreux-Zermatt-Mürren: which pass?

• Gesrwh
    Participant
    5 posts
    18 April 2023 at 22:09:59 #829617

Hoping for assistance in planning which Flex Pass I should purchase.

Pay to take train from Geneva Airport to Lausanne.

1. Train from Lausanne to Montreux and do the Chocolate train or regular train to Gruyere

2. Train Lausanne to Zermatt.

Next day, October 27th, I don’t think the Gornegrat train to summit is “considered a day”- just a discount?

3. Train Zermatt to Murren

4. Train Train to Wengen and the Kleine Scheidegg and cablecar to Grinderwald .

Discount to go up to Schilthorn cable car from Murren?

Leave from Interlaken to Strausbourg, France.

Thinking flex pass as we aren’t traveling every day. The promotion for the passes I don’t think go for Flex? Would a 4 day Swiss Flex Rail Pass work?

Any comments on the planning of the trip would be appreciated.

Gail

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    19 April 2023 at 12:34:11 #953525

Hello Gail,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Thank you for your sharing your plans and great to hear you are Switzerland bound!

Firstly, no the Swiss Travel Pass Flex is not in the current promotion, only the Swiss Travel Pass (with consecutive days travel): https://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/the-swiss-travel-pass-spring-2023-promotion.

With the Swiss Travel Pass Flex. As you have discovered, it’s great for when you are not anticipating traveling every day. Note, if you wanted to benefit from the discounted rate with the Swiss Travel Pass Flex to visit the Gornergrat, this would incur a day’s usage: https://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpassflex/howtouse

Many members of the forum find it useful to carry out some calculations, that way they can be sure they are choosing the best rail pass. You can do this via this link: https://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass

Looking at your plans, actually a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass could work out to be beneficial. You can read all about the Swiss Travel Pass here, where it’s valid, discounts (Schilthorn & Gornergrat are discounted), the coverage map can be viewed too:

Your plans looks fine, though out of interest, where are you actually going to be basing yourself and have I understood, the total trip will be 4 days in total? I am unsure how long your trip is. If it is 4 days plus, then for sure a normal Swiss Travel Pass would make sense. Per the current promotion, you would definitely benefit 🙂

Here are a few more handy links that we recommend you read:

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Gesrwh
    Participant
    5 posts
    21 April 2023 at 13:38:18 #953526

Appreciate your response to my question. We are staying a couple of days in Lausanne, then Zermatt and then Murren. I am thinking now of purchasing the 4 day pass (with the free day) as we are using trains each day. Still unsure if the Gornegratt is considered a “day” on the pass or just a discount so the extra free day offer might work best.

Again, thanks for the help.

Gail

Anna
    6362 posts
    22 April 2023 at 7:33:42 #953527

Hi Gail,

With the Swiss Travel Pass, you’ll get a 50% discount on the cogwheel train to Gornergrat. Travel to Zermatt by train is free. You can find information about tickets to Gornergrat here: http://www.myswissalps.com/gornergrat/tickets

Regards,

Anna

Gesrwh
    Participant
    5 posts
    22 April 2023 at 12:44:21 #953528

Thanks, Anna, for taking time tor respond. If I understand correctly, going from Zermatt to the Gornegratt glacier is NOT considered a day on my pass? It is a fee but 50% off with the pass. That is good news.

Gail

Anna
    6362 posts
    22 April 2023 at 20:40:27 #953529

Hi Gail,

With a Swiss Travel Pass Flex, you can choose which days to use the pass for travelling. These are called ‘free travel’ days and do not have to be taken consecutively. On non-free travel days, there are no benefits.

For example if you are travelling on a ‘free travel day’ to Zermatt, you don’t need tickets to board the train and you will pay half-price for the mountain transportation to Gornergrat.

You can find further details on how to use the Swiss Travel Pass Flex here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpassflex/howtouse

Hope this clarifies.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2023 at 23:32:51 #953530

I think the clear answer to your Gornergrat question has become lost in the rest of the discussion.

To clarify:

With all transport passes just like with ordinary transport tickets, if you board any form or transport your pass must be valid on the day you use a train , bus etc. With a flex pass, on days that you choose not to validate your pass, you have two choices: (1) just walk around a resort without using any public transport transport or (2) purchase a local ticket for a short journey or perhaps use a guest card for a free bus journey

Therefore, if you wish to take the train to Gornergrat when you have a flex pass, you must use a ‘travel day’.

Gesrwh
    Participant
    5 posts
    5 May 2023 at 10:00:06 #953531

Thanks for all those who have commented to my posting.

I hope to get the Swiss Travel Pass this weekend. Seems the promotion of 4 days plus one consecutive is what I need. If I don’t use the pass on one of the days(ie-Gornegrat visit, if it isn’t a “day” on the Swiss Travel Pass), I understand I will just “lose” that day on my 4 plus one option). So, I would be using the pass on 2 consecutive days, not on day 3, the Goregrat, day but a day will be counted on the pass and then use it the next two days, for total of 5 days.

Hope I understand this correctly.

AGAIN, appreciate your help in my trip planning.

Gail

1. Day one- trains around Lausanne/Gruyere, Chillon Castle, Maison Cailler

2. Day two- train to Zermatt from Lausanne.

3. …..(in Zermatt and go to Gornegratt) not a pass day but since consecutive pass…we lose a day on it.

4. Train to Interlaken from Zermatt

5. Travel to areas around Interlaken-Kleine Scheidegg, Wengen

6. Swiss Pass is done. Leave for Strasbourg,France from Interlaken-which train company is recommended?????

Anna
    6362 posts
    5 May 2023 at 10:35:32 #953532

Hi Gail,

On day 3, you can use the Swiss Travel Pass to get discounted travel on the cogwheel train to Gornergrat. In other words, you’ll pay half-price instead of the full fare and that will give you a substantial saving. I suggest going up to Matterhorn Glacier Paradise too, if you have time after your excursion to Gornergrat. With the Swiss Travel Pass, your ticket for this excursion is also discounted.

If you prefer free travelling all the way, I recommend a day trip to Brig and take a connecting train to Riederalp or Betmmeralp. The route Zermatt – Brig – Riederalp/Betmmeralp is fully-covered by the Swiss Travel Pass.

For tickets to Strasbourg, you can find reliable purchase options here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/france

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Geneva-Montreux-Zermatt-Mürren: which pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.