Geneva or Geneva Cornavin station

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2021 at 18:00:15 #825949

Hi,

We are travelling by train from Zurich to Lyon, France to board a river cruise. I have checked the train schedules and the train we have to take goes through Geneve and then we have to transfer to Geneve Cornavin. One train has 26 minutes to transfer and another schedule show 46 minutes. Is this the same train station or do we have to get to another train station. I have tried to find the answer on google and at The Trainline but cannot find the anwer.

Hoping someone on the forum can send me the answer.

Thanks for your help.

Phyllis

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6279 posts
    20 July 2021 at 21:35:28 #935759

Hi Phyllis,

The main train station in Geneva is called Geneva Cornavin station. If you can share the details of your connections (eg. date and time) maybe I can check if you are talking about the same Geneva stations.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2021 at 21:59:59 #935760

Hi Anna,

Thanks so much for checking this out for me as I just want to be prepared what we will have to do when we get to Geneve as there will be 6 adults travelling. We will be leaving Zurich on Tuesday, August 31, 2021.

Duration 5h 22min, 1 change

08:04

Zürich HB

2h 43m

IC 512

10:47

Genève

43m to change station

11:30

Genève Cornavin

1h 56m

TER 96562

13:26

Lyon Part-Dieu

The other train leaves Zurich at 9:04 a.m. with the same route but only gives you 27 minutes to change stations.

If we have to go to another station, I might have to look for another scheduled train.

Phyllis

Anna
    6279 posts
    20 July 2021 at 22:14:53 #935761

Hi Phyllis,

No, you won’t have to go a different station. You only have to switch platforms and 20 minutes is more than enough time for this. The platforms at the station are numbered clearly, just follow the signages.

You can find some practical tips about travelling by train here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical

Regards,

Anna

Annika
    7104 posts
    21 July 2021 at 17:13:21 #935762

Hi Phyllis! Just to make sure: you can best check your journeys using the advanced SBB timetable at http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable. It’s by far the best for planning journeys in, to and from Switzerland. This one doesn’t use both ‘Geneva’ as well as ‘Geneva Cornavin’ which can indeed be confusing. This page might help too: http://www.myswissalps.com/geneva/travel.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2021 at 19:13:35 #935763

Thanks Anna for getting back to me and straightening out my confusion. I definitely was confused when site said change of station.

Also, thanks Annika. I will check the SBB timetable. I tried to get on the SBB site yesterday but had some problems. so I’ll see what happens today.

We have been trying to get to Europe for two years now. Our plane tickets are booked and I hope everyone stays healthy and nothing is cancelled again. Getting too old for this.

Have a nice day.

Phyllis

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2021 at 19:18:00 #935764

Hi,

I just checked the SBB timetable on the site in the email above and it goes to Omio which doesn’t even show the same train schedule as The Train Line. Trains goes through Mulhouse and start at 7:34 a.m. We would like to leave Zurich around 8:30 a.m. on August 31.

Phyllis

Annika
    7104 posts
    22 July 2021 at 7:13:34 #935765

Hi Phyllis. I think you used the “Basic timetable” (that’s by Omio) instead of the “Advanced timetable” by the SBB that I suggested. Please use the timetable under the header “Advanced timetable”. Does that work for you?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2021 at 14:09:35 #935766

You were right Annika. I used basic timetable and now that you set me in the right direction and I used the advanced timetable, I could get all the information I need. I actually was looking all over some of the train websites to get the information of what platform we would have to change to to get the right trains and now I can see that on the SBB advanced timetable.

Also, at least on this webite they show just Geneve and not both Geneve and Geneve Cornavin.

I knew if I asked my question on MySwissAlps forum I would get my answer.

Thanks to everyone for all your help.

Phyllis

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2021 at 16:35:04 #935767

Hi Phyllis,

I am glad you could find the solution. If you have any further questions, just lest us know.

Take care,

Ildiko

• The thread ‘Geneva or Geneva Cornavin station’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.