Base in Bernese Oberland & going from Geneva

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 5:29:26 #816231

Hi,

We (family of 4) are spending 4 nights in the Bernese Oberland region. We are arriving in Switzerland by air from France. We are contemplating flying into Geneva as the Golden Pass line seems great.

I’m after advice as to whether it would be better to stay in Geneva overnight and then train to Montreux, or land in Geneva and make our way straight away to Montreux to catch the Golden Pass train next day.

Also, is Grindlewald a good base to see Bernese region – or Wengen or Lauterbrunnen better?

Thank you (this is a great forum so thanks to those who moderate and contribute to it)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 9:03:26 #886345

Hi Sparksy,

I’d head straight to Montreux – it isn’t far, unless you arrive very late at night.

Grindelwald is a very good base to see the Bernese Oberland region. Wengen & Lauterbrunnen are also good. I think the most popular option on this website is Wengen, but you can’t go wrong in the end.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    26 May 2018 at 19:07:55 #886346

I used Interlaken as a base for my 2015 Bernese Oberland adventure.

Interlaken is a good “base” for travels on the excellent public transport in the region. But Interlaken is very busy and has a very strong presence of international tourists.

I would agree about Grindlewald, Wengen or Lauterbrunnen if your travel plans don’t extend too far beyond Interlaken.

The Golden Pass train is excellent but also consider local/regional trains that travel the same route.

Enjoy your travels.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    26 May 2018 at 19:45:09 #886347

Hi Sparksy.

Grindelwald is an excellent base for a stay in the Oberland. Wengen and Lauterbrunnen are both very pretty, but I think there is more to do and see in Grindelwald. If this is your first trip it really won’t matter where you choose, they are all stunning world class destinations and I have stayed in all 3, but my personal preference is for Grindelwald.

Have fun

Alan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 5:54:57 #886348

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your reply. I think Montreux is the go! We’ll be getting into Geneva early afternoon so I think we’ll have lots of time to get there.

This is our first trip to Switzerland as a family – all of the towns in Bernese Oberland look like winners! We’ll choose between Grindlewald or Wengen I think – it will probably come down to accommodation options.

Thanks for your help – this forum is great.

Paul

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 6:05:35 #886349

Thanks Gunzel,

Yes Interlaken does seem a bit busier than other towns.

I think its Grindelwald or Wengen for us. We only have 4 nights in the region so either of those as a base sounds great.

I’ll check out the local trains along the Golden Pass route. Is it correct that there are special panoramic trains for this route – at least for the 1st leg from Montreux? Thanks for your help,

Paul

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 6:17:05 #886350

Hi Allan,

Thanks for that,

I think that I agree with you – there seems lots to do in Grindlewald. My teenage kids really like the idea of the zipline, carts down the mountain side, mountain walk etc.

Apart from that we’ll be seeing the Jungfraujoch (hoping the weather is good to us), and visiting towns like Lauterbrunnen, Wengen and Murren.

We only have 4 nights so the time will fly – I’d like to have 4 weeks!

Thanks for your help.

Paul

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 8:23:20 #886351

Hi Paul,

Yes, the section between Montreux and Zweisimmen is covered by panoramic trains (noted as MOB Panoramic on the timetable: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable)

We have hotel suggestions for those 2 towns here to help you choose:

https://www.myswissalp s.com/grindelwald/hote ls
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/wengen/hotels

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2018 at 8:43:30 #886352

Hi Lucas,

Thanks so much – this is such a great forum.

Paul

• The thread ‘Base in Bernese Oberland & going from Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.