Geneva platform change query, enough time?

• PrasadJ
    Participant
    6 posts
    18 May 2019 at 21:09:59 #821709

How long does it take to switch platform in Geneva CFF train station – Platform 8 to Platform 6 ?? I will be reaching Geneva CFF station at 10:19 AM(Platform 8) and I need to catch a train to Montreux at 10:30 AM(Platform 6).

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 May 2019 at 21:19:52 #912668

Hello Prasadj and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

11 minutes should be ample. You can find a map of the station at http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/geneva-station.html.

PrasadJ
    Participant
    6 posts
    18 May 2019 at 21:31:26 #912669

Thank you so much!! 🙂 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2019 at 23:03:15 #912670

HI Prasad

This is a very frequent question on our site – there is no need for you to worry as the Swiss travel system is made with this in mind. You will find more details on this link http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable under “tight connections” (scroll down to view).

Have a great trip!

Maria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2019 at 23:59:45 #912671

Sorry Maria, but this is bad advice in this instance.

That is because Platform 8 at Genève Cornavin (which I first set foot on 58 years ago…) is a French platform. If a train arrives late from France the Swiss will not always hold the connection (because the Swiss trains are so much more frequent it is not considered necessary to hold some trains given that another similar train will be along with perhaps 30 minutes at most.

Regarding the original question, physically it takes about 5 minutes to walk from platform 8 to platform 6. This is nearly always fine, but you do walk through a national border customs hall to exit platform 8 so there is an outside chance some sort of unscheduled security check could be in place. Extremely rare but possible. As stated above a much more likely problem is the late arrival of the train from France.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2019 at 0:06:46 #912672

Hi 1960man

Great that you have such detailed knowledge of the platforms to point this out! However as you say the route to Montreux from Geneva is quite frequent so should not be a problem.

Prasad, to check the trains and frequency between Geneva and Montreux you can use the timetable: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Maria.

PrasadJ
    Participant
    6 posts
    19 May 2019 at 18:42:59 #912673

Thank you so much Maria 🙂

PrasadJ
    Participant
    6 posts
    19 May 2019 at 18:52:39 #912674

Thank you, 1960 man.. I will keep that in mind while planning the schedule for the day.. I was planning on taking a MOB panaromic train from Montreux to Zweisimmen. I will reach Geneva at 10:19 AM, I thought if I could catch 10:30 am Geneva to Montreux train, I could board the 11:44 AM Panaromic train to zweisimmen.. now, I think it’s safer to plan for 2:44 pm MOB panoramic train. I have a Swiss pass for 8 days, but I want to reserve tickets for montreux to zweisimmen..

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2019 at 22:49:46 #912675

You will only miss the connection at Genève if the TGV arrives severely delayed. A few minutes late and CFF might hold the 10.30 for a few minutes. In any case it’s your choice depending on how much time you have.

If you delayed your MOB train even later (eg 15.44) you would even have time to squeeze in a ride up to Rochers de Naye and back

Some personal observations:

you don’t absolutely need to use the panoramic train on the MOB. Swiss trains have large windows, even if not officially panoramic. The key element of a ‘panoramic’ coach is ‘toplight’ windows above your head but in practice very few of the major views from panoramic trains are directly above your head, so the view through the normal side part of windows is normally fine.

You will get roughly the same scenic experience from any train on the MOB and reservation is not obligatory

Here is the timetable PDF for the MOB:

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/120.pdf

It is very scenic, but the MOB route is far from being the most spectacular (although any dubbing of this nature is going to subjective and personal) in Switzerland.

PrasadJ
    Participant
    6 posts
    21 May 2019 at 23:54:13 #912676

Than you so much 1960 man, I like the 15:44 MOB plan better .. 🙂 🙂 Will try to visit Rochers-de-Naye, looks interesting…

• The thread ‘Geneva platform change query, enough time?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.