How to get from Geneva to Adelboden

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2018 at 11:52:11 #817019

Hi, We are flying to Geneva. What is the best train to take from Geneva to get to our hotel in Adelboden?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2018 at 18:31:55 #889947

Hi H Kg50 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The Swiss railways timetable will give you the quickest route (if that is what you mean by best). It is via Bern and then Frutigen. The last section is very scenic.

Another option is to travel on the Golden Pass route traveling Geneva – Montreux – Zweisimmen – Spiez – Frutigen. https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

A bit longer bit a bit more scenic as well. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2018 at 22:22:32 #889948

Brill, thank you. Is there a direct train? I cannot find much info on this , it’s our first time in Switzerland so would love to do the scenic route. anymore information would be great full 🙂 is it expensive to do this or is it reasonable?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2018 at 5:38:26 #889949

There are no direct trains from Geneva to Adelboden.

When you search the timetable it will give you the quickest (most direct) route by default which is Via Bern & Frutigen. This trip has 2 train changes and is a little over 3 hours long. You can find exact schedule for your date of travel on the timetable link.

The 2nd option I mentioned is longer and has more train changes but gives you more scenery via the Golden Pass: https://www.myswissalp s.com/goldenpass

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    4 July 2018 at 4:37:41 #889950

Just a note to Lucas.

You may recall sandhuctr (Aman) posting a photo back on the first of March, asking if anybody recognized the place shown in his attached photo, and you replied << That is a tough question! No real distinguishing features….it could be one of many villages in Switzerland or nearby. It could be Adelboden >> I did a bit of checking and had meant to confirm that it was indeed Adelboden but somehow I lost track of the thread. When I found it today I saw that it was closed. I had saved a copy of the original photo and it is attached. I found a similar view of Adelboden but in the Summer and now can’t find it. However, the 2006 photo of Adelboden in Wikipedia shows the same pattern of trees and open fields we see in Aman’s original photo. Better late than never, I guess.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2018 at 14:23:41 #889951

Oh that does like similar, thanks Peter!

I’ll see about opening the other thread again….

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 9:49:13 #889952

Thanks lucas and Peterli.

andrew
    Participant
    146 posts
    7 July 2018 at 7:22:50 #889953

A look at Google earth 3D backs up the Adelboden theory. No sign of the normally ubiquitous railway is also a big clue! Always enjoy the final seconds of the bus journey to Adelboden. The bus seems to be heading straight for a wall which magically opens at the last moment to receive the bus into the terminus.

Andrew

• The thread ‘How to get from Geneva to Adelboden’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.