Geneva to Grindelwald by train tickets

• Robt
    Participant
    2 posts
    15 October 2018 at 14:30:56 #818699

In Feb next year my wife and I will be taking the train from Geneva airport to Grindelwald and wondered if any one could help with the following questions

1 looking at the timetable the gap between trains at the changes is in some cases only 6 mins so wondered if the return tickets allows travel on any trains during the travel day and not just specific times ?

2 we will simply be travelling to / from Geneva / Grindelwald and then skiing so wondered what was the cheapest way to purchase the tickets

many thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 October 2018 at 19:04:10 #897947

Hi Robt and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Yes, a regular ticket for a Swiss train allows for travel on any train on that route for that day. So if you missed a train connection you can simply grab the next train without worry. This does not apply to Super Saver tickets which are denoted with a % sign on the timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) and are for specific train times.
    2. Either a point to point ticket (prices can be found on the timetable link above) or a Saver Day Pass, bought far enough ahead, may be the cheapest option: http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details
    Robt
    Participant
    2 posts
    15 October 2018 at 19:52:47 #897948

Thank you for this , looking at the passes it looks like the cheapest option is the Swiss transfer ticket @ £116 per adult , the web page states it is being stopped from Jan-19 although it does indicate that passes bought this year will still be valid for travel in 2019 is this correct ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 October 2018 at 23:11:00 #897949

The Swiss Transfer ticket was the traditional ticket to use if you just made one journey from arrival point to resort. I don’t understand why they are abolishing it. However you can now buy Saver Day Pass, but you have to wait until a month or so before your travel date to book one.

Don’t worry too much about 6 minutes change times. Minimum transfer times are designed to be achievable at most Swiss stations (It’s actually longer than it sounds)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 October 2018 at 7:02:36 #897950

Hi Robt,

The Saver Day Pass should be cheaper than the Swiss Transfer Ticket (when bought far enough ahead of time as prices fluctuate). You’ll find links to buy it on my last reply (under more on other websites for one day travel pass).

It can be bought up to 2 months prior to your travel date and is as low as 52chf per person (giving you free travel to virtually any town in Switzerland from any other town – you’ll find a PDF map to look over as well).

They are indeed canceling the Swiss Transfer Ticket (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstransferticket) in 2019 because the Saver Day Pass is a cheaper alternative and once introduced earlier in the year cannibalized STT sales (I would guess). 🙂

As 1960man notes, 6 minute connections are fairly common in smaller rail stations and are designed to be achievable.

• The thread ‘Geneva to Grindelwald by train tickets’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.