Geneva to Interlaken via GoldenPass Panoramic

• Waldinger
    Participant
    4 posts
    1 May 2023 at 15:24:37 #829737

We are planning to purchase a first class, 4 day Swiss Travel Pass using the extra day promotion for travel June 17-22nd. We need to travel from Geneva to Interlaken on June 18, and want to take the Golden Pass Panoramic train from Montreaux to Interlaken-Ost. We’d like to upgrade to the Prestige section. When I tried to purchase the upgrade, I saw the following statement on the website: 17 – 18.06.2023 seats reservations are not possible due to construction work. Does this mean that the Golden Pass Panoramic train will not be running at all on those dates? If not, is there another train we could take that would give us a similar experience? We won’t purchase the first class ticket if we can’t ride the Golden Pass Prestige, as I don’t see much difference between first and second class on other trains. Any advice is welcomed. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6362 posts
    1 May 2023 at 19:40:24 #953966

Hi Waldinger,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

The construction currently affects only the direct GoldenPass Express service between Interlaken and Montreux. You can still travel on the Golden Pass Panoramic trains between Montreux and Zweisimmen. In Zweisimmen you will change to a different train bound for Interlaken. Seat reservations on the Golden Pass Panoramic are not compulsory but recommended. You can find further details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass/tickets

Let us know if you need further info.

regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2023 at 23:59:24 #953967

The BLS main line section Wimmis (near Spiez) to Zweisimmen is closed for engineering works in this period. You should be able to travel on the true Golden Pass (Montreux – Zweisimmen) in a panoramic train (all but a few trains on the route are ‘panoramic’ nowadays). You will be taken by bus between Zweisimmen and Wimmis

Waldinger
    Participant
    4 posts
    2 May 2023 at 11:40:52 #953968

Thank you for this information. Is there a way to avoid traveling by bus between Zweisimmen and Wimmis? I feel like this many transfers is going to be very confusing to us as this is our first time in Switzerland.

Waldinger
    Participant
    4 posts
    2 May 2023 at 12:46:04 #953969

I’m not able to make a reservation on the 18th. The dates 6/17 and 6/18 are blocked out. Does this mean the Panoramic trains won’t be running on those dates, or simply that reservations are not allowed?

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    3 May 2023 at 19:43:05 #953970

Hello Waldinger,

Unless the engineering works are completed earlier than the anticipated 19th June, the bus replacement will be necessary between Zweisimmen and Wimmis.

I understand it all feels overwhelming but the bus replacement bus service will be very efficient and seamless.

For reservations for the 17th and 18th June, just so I am clear, this would be for the Prestige/VIP seats for the leg Montreux to Zweisimmen?

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2023 at 22:44:13 #953971

No there is no way to avoid the bus. There is a lot of engineering work taking place on the railways in Switzerland at the moment – to make them even better than they already are. If there is one country where you can guarantees that replacement buses will be efficient and organised with seemless transfers it is Switzerland – after all isn’t that why you are visiting?!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2023 at 22:45:52 #953972

The trains are running between Montreux and Zweisimmen. I’m afraid that once programmed, engineering works will take place between the announced dates. Try booking the seats just from Montreux to Zweisimmen. You will have a Swiss Travel Pass so you actually don’t need to do anything in advance except just turn up.

Waldinger
    Participant
    4 posts
    4 May 2023 at 14:16:13 #953973

Yolanda, thank you for the information. Yes, you are correct, we need to travel from Geneva to Interlaken on the 18th and would like to take the Golden Pass Express Train in either first class or Prestige. Would you recommend a different train, or will all the trains be experiencing the same bus replacements?

Yolanda
    2333 posts
    4 May 2023 at 20:10:06 #953974

Hello again Waldinger,

Unfortunately on June 17th and June 18th, no bookings are possible.

There are regular alternative trains running without any buses involved. If you key in your route via the timetable, your options will be displayed: https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

I just keyed in a sample for departure on June 17th, see attached PDF.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2023 at 21:51:59 #953975

The trouble is the route via Bern is not the Golden Pass.

Waldinger, your best option is still to travel the regular MOB panoramic train or Golden Pass Express train Montreux – Zweisimmen (the true Golden Pass – ie the main scenic section) then take the bus to Spiez. It is a scenic road.

• The thread ‘Geneva to Interlaken via GoldenPass Panoramic’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.