Geneva to Lausanne boat trip schedule confusion

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2017 at 14:20:33 #811410

Hi,

I am planning to travel to Lausanne by the boat trip in this spring.On the website of CGN, in the pdf I can see a boat no 102 going from Geneva Mont Blanc at 10:15, however when I do the search on CGN website under the schedule, I cannot find this route.

Could you pls confirm if there is a route from Geneve Mont-Blanc to Lausanne indeed.

Thanks in advance!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2017 at 6:34:10 #861583

Hi akhisysnl and welcome to MySwissAlps!

For what date are you searching the schedule? Is it a weekday?

The service you mentioned has a symbol next to it in the PDF: a “C” inside a circle and a wavy line all the way to the bottom. The “Explanation of Symbols” on the right-hand side of the PDF indicates that this means the service only runs on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays. So if you are searching for a weekday service in the schedule, this one will not show up.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 April 2017 at 16:17:00 #861584

Thanks Alpenrose!!

I missed to see this detail.but it explains as I am reaching on weekday.

But does that mean on weekday its not possible to travel via boat from Geneve to Lausanne even with a change? Otherwise, is it advisable to take the trip till Nyon/Yvoire and then take a train to Lausanne?

Cheers!

Akhisysnl

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2017 at 8:17:25 #861585

Hi Akhisysnl,

Yes, if you are wanting to take a boat trip on Lake Geneva (before June 17) you are limited to going as far as Nyon and then transferring to a train on to Lausanne.

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2017 at 8:59:57 #861586

>> But does that mean on weekday its not possible to travel via boat from Geneve to Lausanne even with a change? Otherwise, is it advisable to take the trip till Nyon/Yvoire and then take a train to Lausanne?

As Lucas confirmed, while the spring timetable is in force, you can’t take a boat from Geneva to Lausanne.

If you take a boat from Geneva to Nyon and continue by train to Lausanne, there’s a short walk involved in getting from the wharf at Nyon to the railway station – about 12 minutes. If you will have luggage that might be a consideration: I don’t know whether that walk is reasonably level or uphill.

Do you have a particular reason for wanting to travel the Geneva-Lausanne sector by boat?

An alternative to consider is doing a boat trip between Lausanne and Montreux instead. This sector is a beautiful trip, providing a views of the Lavaux vineyard terraces, which is a World Heritage Site. You could travel both directions by boat, or one direction by boat and the other direction by train.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2017 at 10:49:37 #861587

Thanks Alpenrose for your suggestion.

I dont have any specific reason but just that thought to take the boat as some of my friends have suggested it. But certainly I can look forward to your suggestion as well.

Cheers,

Akhisysnl

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2017 at 13:23:49 #861588

I am also confused. May 27th. Is it possible to take the boat all the way from Lausanne to Geneva or do I have to take the train to Nylon and then the boat to Geneva?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 April 2017 at 15:03:57 #861589

<<“If you will have luggage that might be a consideration: I don’t know whether that walk is reasonably level or uphill.”>>

Uphill. About 30 to 35 meters.

map.wanderland.ch/?lang=de&route=all&bgLa yer=pk&resolution=2.5& X=507538&Y=137498&laye rs=Wanderland

By t the way, Yvoire is very pretty….full of flowers.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2017 at 16:55:03 #861590

Hi bcandfm,

You can find the schedules and time tables for the Lake Geneva boats cruises here.
    As we noted for Akhisysnl it is only an issue during week days. If you are traveling on May 27 (Saturday) there is one boat daily leaving Lausanne at 1405 and arriving 1750.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2017 at 17:41:49 #861591

Thanks for the clarification. Would you also recommend getting off the boat in Yvoire, touring the town, and continuing to Geneva by local train? Thanks.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 April 2017 at 18:51:47 #861592

Hi bcandfm –

<<“Thanks for the clarification. Would you also recommend getting off the boat in Yvoire, touring the town, and continuing to Geneva by local train? Thanks.”>>

If I were considering the kind of trip that you are discussing, I’d check out the geography on a map that helps with transit connections, and I ‘d be looking at the SBB ( or CFF, in French) timetable. The time table will help with connections between France and Switzerland, and I’d not be surprised if it does French trains in the area near the lake.

The map that I would use is Map.search.CH,because it can give a lot of transport information:

map.search.ch/?pos=511704,136752&z=32 &poi=haltestelle,zug

I have used the menu under “Points of Interest” to turn on Traffic.

If you zoom in enough to get the icons separated, and mouse over them, you get near-tem transport schedules.

And, if you zoom in to the correct level, train lines appear. The only problem is that it doesn’t really give much map information about France. But, there is enough in this region near the lake and Switzerland. So, if you play with the map you will find that there is no rail service to Yvoire, and the the nearest rail station is at Perrignier, about 10 km away.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Geneva to Lausanne boat trip schedule confusion’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.