Geneva to Mont Blanc to Matterhorn and back

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2019 at 21:21:28 #823706

I will be in Switzerland for work and have a weekend free. I would like to see both Mont Blanc and the Matterhorn, and then go back to Geneva. Is that possible? I could leave as early as possible on a Saturday and return as late as possible on Sunday (or the wee hours of Monday morning). I keep seeing info on the famous hike between the Matterhorn and Mont Blanc, but that is not what I’m looking for. Any advice? Any tours that would do something like that?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2019 at 23:40:36 #921549

Mont Blanc is visible from central Geneva on a clear day, but you have to travel into France to see it close up. It is possible to squeeze in Matterhorn and Mont Blanc in 2 days but it would be an effort.

Geneva – Chamonix is not easy due to the construction of the new Leman Express cross-border rail network (opening December this year) , but there are buses

Then you would take the Mont Blanc Express Chamonix – Martigny, then SBB CFF main line train Martigny – Visp, then MGB train Visp – Zermatt, the you would return Zermatt – Visp – Genève.

The trouble is you don’t see Mont Blanc easily from central Chamonix, so there would be extra time needed to work out how you want to see the mountain (eg on the Aiguille du Midi cable car)

Try the German railways on line planner:

http://www.bahn.com/en/view/i ndex.shtml

Input Genève to Genève and input at least two ‘via’ points (eg Chamonix and Zermatt)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2019 at 0:47:43 #921550

If you could see only one, would it be Mont Blanc or the Matterhorn? I spent a semester in Switzerland in college and neglected to see the Matterhorn, which has always been a regret. So I am leaning towards that if only one option.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    3 September 2019 at 11:43:28 #921551

Hello czr1, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Congratulations for your interest for the alpine peaks!

< I would like to see both Mont Blanc and the Matterhorn >

The problem is that these peaks will in a way decide if they want to show themselves to you, or not. See the attached photograph of the Matterhorn as it showed itself to me when I was there in June 2018. You could experience the same.

Reliable weather forecasts in the Alps do not go beyond four or five days.

• The thread ‘Geneva to Mont Blanc to Matterhorn and back’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10620 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.