Geneva to Mount Titlis and back in one day?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2016 at 11:11:04 #809340

Hello! My friend and i are travelling to staying at geneva. i wish to visit mount titlis . is it possible to visit mount titlis and return back to geneva on the same day? Please help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2016 at 13:19:39 #852573

Hi Dhruvi,

The most logical answer would be NO…. if you want to fully enjoy at the mountain top. But practically it is possible.

To reach Mt. Titlis, you need to reach Engelberg station from where its a 5 min walk to the cable car station. The most direct / shortest route from Geneve to Engelberg is : Geneve – Luzern – Engelberg. The route from Geneva to Luzern takes 3 hours and Luzern to Engelberg takes about 45 mins. So ONLY if you start from Geneve way early morning (say about 6am or 7am) then only you can reach Engelberg at a decent time and be able to spend quality time at the top.

You can check train times and routes at http://www.sbb.ch/en

I checked for 9am, tomorrow’s date i.e. 4th June and starting from Geneve at 9am reaches me at Engelberg at 12:53pm with a 10 mins changeover time at Luzern. This is an idealistic condition assuming none of the trains run late and you are agile enough to make the switch (often a change of platform also). The total journey time is 3 h 41m. And mind you, this is the direct route. Other routes include via Olten but for those also you need to get down at Luzern finally and change.

For Mt. Titlis, Mt. Pilatus, Jungfrau etc. the best place to stay is either Luzern or Interlaken.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2016 at 6:16:29 #852574

Thank you so so much for a detailed reply! I am really thankful…Also, do v need to book the tickets from geneva to engelberg in advance or v can get them directly at station….Please guide on the same.

Thanking you en avance!

Annika
    7115 posts
    4 June 2016 at 7:04:20 #852575

Hi Dhruvi,

No need to book in advance. You will save money if you buy a Swiss Half Fare Card. That will get you a 50% discount on the train and cable car tickets. This is even worth it if this is the only trip you’ll be doing in Switzerland, but of course you’ll get a discount on further trips as well. You can print the card at home so all you have to do in Switzerland is get a discounted ticket to Engelberg from one of the machines at the station. Please see http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/price.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2016 at 14:28:49 #852576

Thank you so much…We booked an apartment in Luzerne so that travelling will be better for these mountains…. I am thinking of buying swiss travel pass. will the following be covered in the swiss travel pass ( I saw the map but i am still confused )

1) Geneva cornavin to luzerne by train

2) Cruise ride in lake Geneva

3) Mount titlis and Jungfrau ( travelling to and from Luzerne)

Will the following be free travel with Swiss Travel pass ????

please guide!

Annika
    7115 posts
    5 June 2016 at 16:48:59 #852577

Hi Dhruvi,

1) and 2) are free.

3) The train to Engelberg is free, the Titlis cable car is 50% off. The trains to Wengen and Grindelwald are free. From there to Jungfraujoch it’s 25% off.

Please see here for how to purchase the Swiss Travel Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2016 at 8:24:33 #852578

Depending on the length of your stay in Swiss territory, you can buy the 3-day, 4-day or 8-day Pass. 2nd class is usually enough.

The Swiss Travel Pass provides you 25% discount from Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald to Jungfrau (via Klein Scheidegg). Train travel to Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald (from Interlaken OST) is free with the Swiss Travel Pass and so are your other train travels. Mt. Titlis would have 50% discount with the Swiss Travel Pass.

Below is a detail pricing for Jungfrau with the Swiss Travel Pass :

You can travel via 3 possible routes (prices are per person) :

1 (a). Interlaken OST to Grindelwald (free).

1 (b) Round trip : Gridelwald – Jungfrau (via Klein Scheidegg) – Grindelwald

Cost (w/o discount) : CHF 184

Cost (w/ discount) : CHF 138

Time taken : 1 h 35 m each way.

2 (a). Interlaken OST to Lauterbrunnen (free till Wengen which is after Launterbrunnen but you need to change at Lauterbrunnen and pay only from Wengen to the top)

2 (b) Round trip : Wengen – Jungfrau (via Klein Scheidegg) – Wengen

Cost (w/o discount) : CHF 170

Cost (w/ discount) : CHF 128

Time taken : 1 h 28 m each way

3 (a) Interlaken OST to either of above two places and return via the other way

3 (b) Gridelwald – Jungfrau (via Klein Scheidegg) – Wengen OR the reverse

The cost for this option is between 1 (b) and 2 (b) above. About CHF 10 more than 2 (b). Whichever route you want to travel, you can tell the same at the ticketing counter in Interlaken OST when purchasing your discounted tickets. For further details you can check on this official site (shop.jungfrau.ch/en/ tickets/bergbahn). This site has a host of other options along with weather details at the Jungfrau, skiing options or other activities etc.

Since discounted prices are same whether purchased online or at station, its better to buy at station to avoid any problems or wrong bookings, though during May-June, expect to have a queue at stations.

Also note that the prices I mentioned above are the ticket prices and does not include reservation charges. Reservation might be required during peak seasons.

• The thread ‘Geneva to Mount Titlis and back in one day?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.