Best rail pass to cover Geneva-Stechelberg-Zermatt

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2019 at 2:33:57 #820588

Hi – I will travel from Geneva airport to the Bernese Oberland and visit Zermatt before leaving for Italy. The focus will be on gondola/train rides to see the mountains (but no extensive hiking) and visit Bern or perhaps Lucerne if feasible. This is what I’ve planned (any suggestions most welcome!) & questions follow:

5/28: 8:30am Geneva airport – Lausanne – [Bern]- Stechelberg (overnight Stechelberg )

5/29: Grindelwald/First/Pfingstegg – Wengen/Mannlichen – Murren/Gimmelwald (overnight Stechelberg )

5/30: Wilderswil/Schynige Platte – Niederhorn – Stockhorn (overnight Wilderswil )

5/31: Niesen – Kandersteg/Oechinsee/Sunnbuel – Zermatt

[or 5/31 Niesen – Lucerne, (overnight Lucerne ); 6/1 Brienz Rothorn, Kandersteg – Zermatt]

Q1. It looks like it’s best to buy the Bernese Oberland pass for at least 3 days (5/29-31) . Is it worth getting a saver day pass for my 1st day of travel on 28 May or to buy full fare tickets, or perhaps extend the BO pass to 4 days (noting that it doesn’t cover GEN – Montreux & only 50% for Montreux -Saanen) ? [I tried searching the train fares on various sites but the cost ranges frm CHF 30 to CHF70 so I’m a bit confused…]

Q2. The gondola/train rides (e.g. Wilderswil/Schynige Platte on 5/30, Brienz Rothorn on 6/1) are just scheduled to open when I plan to go. Is it quite possible that the start date may be delayed due to weather?

Q3. Is late May a good time to consider visiting Schilthorn / Jungfraujoch (to see Aletsch Glacier)? Would some of the places I visit be quite similar/duplicative?

This will be my first time in Switzerland and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2019 at 9:14:02 #907539

Hi Serp and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Q1: Finding the best combination of rail passes is challenging and requires doing some maths. I think the combination you suggest seems reasonable.

You could also looking into the Swiss Half Fare Card in addition to the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland to further reduce the point-to-point tickets or Saver Day Pass for your continuing journey.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard
    http://www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpassberneseoberl and
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass

When you search for ticket prices on the official SBB page the default setting will show you the price with Half Fare Card, so to get a “full” price you would need to double that price. That explains the discrepancy.

For detailed calculations of your options use the spreadsheet in this link:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

Q2: The destinations will normally start as scheduled. With trains there is a slightly higher risk of the starting date being delayed, due to possible snowfall. Just check with the local Tourist Office (or Hotel) upon arrival to be sure.

Q3: For these destinations the month of May is absolutely fine.

No mountain is the same but all of them are mountains, so your question regarding “duplicate” is hard to answer. Get some inspiration and an idea of the places by typing them into the search box of this page. In any case I am sure you will enjoy your trips.

Get back to us anytime.

Best,
    Steph

• The thread ‘Best rail pass to cover Geneva-Stechelberg-Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.