Eurail Global Pass Geneva to Zermatt reservations?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2019 at 17:41:48 #820282

The SBB site is really a lot of fun. The Ticket shop of SBB.chf responds to questions quickly.

Now an answer please. Taking the train from Geneva airport to Zermatt. I will have a EuroRail Global Pass, First Class. Does this train require, recommend or otherwise need a “reservation” to be purchased.

Do I just walk on: take a seat and that is it?

thanks

Ralph

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2019 at 18:34:52 #905894

Hi Ralph,

Nice you’ve got a first class pass!

The Eurail pass means ticketless travelling as you can see on here and no need for reservations: http://www.myswissalps.com/eu railglobalpass

Regarding the validity, you can see the map here: http://www.myswissalps.com/eu railglobalpass/validit y

You will see on there that the journey to Zermatt is covered by the pass.

More information on Zermatt: http://www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt

Enjoy your trip!

Maria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2019 at 19:11:48 #905895

Thanks Maria

I see that the train is a low capacity train. However, I am compulsive. I like to know I have a seat. Can I reserve a seat OR is it NOT possible to reserve seats on this branch of the railway.

thanks

ralph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2019 at 19:27:40 #905896

Hi again Ralph

You can always reserve a seat however if you’re going first class you might be wasting your money – your choice at the end of the day though if it makes you feel better of course! 🙂

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/reservations

Instead of the low capacity, I would look at the occupancy rate of the train instead. That will give you an indication if the train is busy at the time you’re planning to take it, and then it might make sense to reserve a seat. You can do that by using the advanced timetable on this link: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Hope that helps, and have a wonderful trip!

Maria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2019 at 1:34:33 #905897

Just walk on!

I’ve done it dozens of times (and I’ve seen a few celebs doing the same thing to boot!)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2019 at 1:40:24 #905898

I have never once reserved a seat on a Swiss train in 59 years…

I can’t recall ever being on a Swiss train where there weren’t at least a few seats available.

hockeyfan
    Participant
    162 posts
    8 March 2019 at 15:26:56 #905899

The train starts at the airport. There will be almost no one on the train when you get on.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2019 at 16:39:37 #905900

Thank you all very much. I now have the site to make the reservations if we choose. I see that ACP is a viable alternative to Eurorail.

Two additional questions if I could

1. is ACP satisfactory? Trip Advisor in the US has reviews which are not really complimentary

2. How much is a reservation on this train from Geneva to Zermatt. I put in fake dates, but ACP says the cost of reservations is not available on line

thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 March 2019 at 19:20:16 #905901

Hi Maria,

I am a bit confused on using advanced timetable to find out how booked a train is? Can you give a little more detail on how to see how many seats are available. Also, I will be buying a global eurail pass. Is there a big difference between 1st and 2nd class seats. Are there any benefits in spending more to get a first class ticket?

Thank you for your help.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2019 at 1:04:23 #905902

I’m not aware of any such system.

As already recommended – don’t worry about a reservation – they really aren’t necessary

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2019 at 9:11:16 #905903

Hi Jeff

When you click on advanced timetable and you look for your train(s) you will see 3 columns that say ” Duration, Change Trains, Occupancy Rate”. It is the occupancy rate I’m referring to, if there are lots of people the icons will appear in red.

Regarding 1st and 2nd class, the only advantage I see in booking first class is that you don’t have to make a reservation as there will always be plenty of seats available. Doing both would be complete overkill 😉 I reiterate, you really do not need reservations on Swiss trains, specially if you are going first class.

Maria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2019 at 10:05:30 #905904

Hi – I’m back with an additional question

I will have a Eurail Global Pass and plan to travel the Glacier Express. Apparently they have a new class called Excellence Class. All indications from Eurorail are that it is included with the pass. When I attempt to book the ticket for Excellence Class, there is no place to enter that there is a rail pass and the reservation fee comes up 840CHF.

They do not have an 1+800 phone number to call. is this exclusive class that expensive?

hockeyfan
    Participant
    162 posts
    11 March 2019 at 13:40:24 #905905

The Excellence Class reservations start at 420CHF per seat. The place to include the information about your pass comes, near the end of booking. If I remember correctly it says something like “I have my ticket”. This is many times the cost of a regular reservation at 23CHF or 42CHF. You can call them at +41 (0)848 642 442. They are very responsive and speak exxcellent English.

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 March 2019 at 14:11:59 #905906

Hi Oldie,

I am not sure which website you are referring to when you mentioned “Eurorail”, but there are no passes that include reservation costs. You can verify that here: http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress/tickets. If you choose to travel on the Glacier Express then reservations are always additional. If you travel on a regular train, then reservations are not necessary.

Did you mean https://www.acprail.co m in your earlier post? They are a credible retailer, but may not sell reservations for all trains.

• The thread ‘Eurail Global Pass Geneva to Zermatt reservations?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.