Geneva to Zurich by rail - Golden Pass

Geneva to Zurich by rail - Golden Pass

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Ritag
Ritag
1 post
May 11, 2018 - 8:16 PM

My husband and I will be in Switzerland in September and wish to travel from Geneva to Zurich by rail. We plan to take a local train from Geneva to Montreux and then the Golden Pass train from Montreux for as far as we can go before connecting with a local train t o Zurich. I have been looking on line and am a little confused as to whether the Golden Pass train goes only as far as Zweisimmen or if we can continue to Lucerne? We would like to make this journey in one day, but do not want to take the fast train from Geneva to Zurich. I am also interested in knowing the cost of this journey as I am trying to decide if we should buy a Swiss Travel Pass. The only other train journeys we will take in Switzerland will be local trains in the Zurich area. I would appreciate any information.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3914 posts
expert
May 11, 2018 - 10:54 PM in reply to Ritag

Hello Ritag and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

The Golden Pass Line (www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass) is made up of a series of legs. Montreux to Zweisimmen is where the Panoramic trains run. The rest of the route to Lucerne continues on regular trains.

You can use the Swiss Train Timetable (www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to work out the fares for any trip. When you go to buy a ticket the fare you see on the right hand side of the page will normally be the half-fare price. Double it to get full fare. Optional reservations on the Panoramic trains are additional to ticket price and not covered by any Pass.

From the way you describe your plans a Saver Day Pass (www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details) may suit you.

You should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math.

Last modified on May 11, 2018 - 10:56 PM by rockoyster

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018