Geneva to Zurich via panoramic train?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 January 2019 at 7:18:27 #819399

Hi,

i will be visiting Switzerland for the first time and is during May 2019 and would like to take advantage of one of the scenic trains. i will be starting off from Geneva and leaving from Zurich. i don’t seem to understand on how to purchase the tickets and would appreciate with some help. Also about the golden pass, how does it works.

Appreciate your help in advance.

Best Regards,

Jonathan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 January 2019 at 10:51:07 #901700

Hi Jonathan ljl and welcome to MySwissAlps!

How much time do you have to get between Geneva and Zurich? Are you planning on visiting other towns while in Switzerland or you just have 1 night or so?

You can read about the different panoramic trains here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/scenictrips/t rain – click each one and then the route tab to read about where to starts and ends. Use the timetable to plan the trips and see duration (Panoramic Express trains except the Golden Pass trains are noted as PE in the timetable) http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Golden Pass panoramic trains are noted on the timetable as either “GoldenPass MOB Belle Epoque” (heritage) or “GoldenPass MOB Panoramic” (modern) but you have to click on the train departure you want to see those details (and they only run between Montreux and Zweisimmen).

You can read about rail tickets and rail passes here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 January 2019 at 3:41:53 #901701

Hi Lucas,

thanks for your reply.

i am looking at traveling on 3/05/19 morning from Geneva to Zurich as i will be flying out from Zurich on the 4/05/19 evening.

is it right that i have to take a regional train from Geneva to Montreux. and from Montreux is where i will take either the Panoramic Express trains or the Golden Pass trains which will being me to Zweisimmen?than from Zweisimmen how do i go about get to Zurich. is it by the regional train from Zweisimmen to Interlaken than from Interlaken to Luzern than from Luzern to Zurich? or is there anyway i could do it without changing of train?

is it true that getting the Swiss Travel Pass is more worth than getting a day to day pass? i am not having any intention to go for mountain excursions but may visit some of the interesting museums that switzerland has.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 January 2019 at 4:45:42 #901702

If you want to follow the Golden Pass Line then train changes are inevitable. The route is described here. If you do the whole thing have you considered an overnight in Luzern. It is only 1 hour by direct train from Luzern to Zurich Airport. Luzern is a lovely city to explore.

If you want the fastest route Geneva to Zurich then you can get a direct connection with no changes.

If you want to go at least as far as Zweisimmen on the GPL then you can get a train from there to Geneva with one change at Bern. You will depart the GPL at Spiez.

Have a look at the map you can download at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity to visualise the various routes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 January 2019 at 8:32:18 #901703

I doubt a Swiss Travel Pass is worth it for you on such a short trip.The Swiss Travel Pass is valid for at least 3 days.

A Saver Day Pass could work for you on the day you take the Golden Pass on your way to Zurich or Lucerne (wherever you spend the night of the 3rd). http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass

The only section of the Golden Pass that is on a panoramic train is between Montreux and Zweisimmen. After Zweisimmen you can continue on the Golden Pass route to Interlaken and on to Lucerne. Or if you prefer to have more time in a town rather than more time on trains, head more directly to whichever town you are most interested in seeing after you get off the train in Zweisimmen.

Use the timetable to plan out any and all trips (it gives the most direct options by default).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 January 2019 at 6:08:15 #901704

HI Lucas,

thanks for your advice and much appreciated.

any doubts will check back with you again.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 January 2019 at 6:14:36 #901705

Just noticed that I said “If you want to go at least as far as Zweisimmen on the GPL then you can get a train from there to Geneva with one change at Bern. You will depart the GPL at Spiez.”

That should of course have said “you can get a train from there (Zweisimmen) to Zurich . . . . “

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2019 at 0:58:57 #901706

Hi Rockoyster,

thanks for your update. no wonder i was looking at it and felt abit strange why would you recommend me to take a train from Bern to Geneva when i am actually heading the other way round. Haha. but still have to thanks you for response. Now i understand what you mean.

actually i have to correct myself after the check on the dates i will reach Switzerland, i will reach Geneva on the 29/04/19 late afternoon and be heading over to Zurich on the on the 02/05/19 morning so i guess getting the Swiss Travel Pass should be more worthwhile than the Saver Day Pass.

and sorry for the mess up on the dates.

• The thread ‘Geneva to Zurich via panoramic train?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.