Geneva travel ideas for 4 nights in July

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2016 at 6:09:20 #809690

Hi I’ll be travelling from Bern to Geneva for 4 nights next week and just after some ideas of what we should do. We would like to go to chateau de chillon but not sure if we should go by train and then return by boat. Should we cross the boarder and see another town? I have a Swiss travel pass so am able to do day trips whilst we are there. Look forward to recieving ideas. Cheers Jacquie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    17 July 2016 at 7:53:56 #854222

Hi Jacquie!

Here are some pages that may get you started:

• http://www.myswissalps.com/ge neva and http://www.myswissalps.com/la kegenevawest for tips on day trips within and from Geneva. Apart from what’s listed at these pages, you may consider a longer day trip to Chamonix-Mont Blanc in France. Note that the quickest route isn’t covered by your Swiss Travel Pass though;
    • http://www.myswissalps.com/la kegeneva: you’ll find tips for the eastern part of Lake Geneva here. They do require quite some travel time from Geneva (please refer to the timetable), but in my opinion that’s worth it. I think this region is more attractive in terms of day trips, mountains and scenery than Lake Geneva’s western part, so I’d definitely advise to try to fit in a couple of these trips.

Enjoy your stay in Switzerland!

Vlasta
    Participant
    58 posts
    19 July 2016 at 1:28:34 #854223

Hi, Jacquie ,

The walk from Montreux to Castle Chillon along the lake promenade is beautiful and not very far, but I don’t remember the distance exactly. Chillon is incredible, be sure to get the headphones to enhance your visit. We also loved the boat ride from Nyon, a lovely town, to Yvoire, in France. We spent the whole day wandering around Yvoire medieval village, and having a lakeside lunch of its specialty, perch.

Chamonix is fabulous but a longer train ride. I don’t know how crowded it would be to try to go up to some of the mountains, Aiguille di midi, Brevent, etc. Personally, though I love the mountains, I would Encourage you to enjoy Lake Geneva area, day trips, and the city of Geneva itself. The oldest house museum, is a museum of the history of Geneva. It is very well done and the walk up to it from the lake was very nice, interesting, beautiful neighborhoods. I think there is a little tram tour that takes you around Geneva which would be worth it. You will have a great time no matter where you go.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2016 at 18:40:14 #854224

Hi Vlasta,

thankyou for your feedback. We really enjoyed the chateau de chillon and a re planning in a boat ride to yvoire tomorrow. Do you know if I can use my Swiss travel pass and do I need euro for the visit.

look forward to hearing from you. Cheers Jacquie

Vlasta
    Participant
    58 posts
    21 July 2016 at 19:16:25 #854225

Jacquie, sorry I don’t know about the pass, but I do remember using euros in Yvoire. It was a bit confusing trying to remember what country we were in during day trips! I hope you have great weather. Vlasta

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 July 2016 at 12:38:50 #854226

The boats on Lake Geneva are free with a Swiss Travel Pass, even to towns on the French side of the lake. The Euro is the currency in France. I don’t know whether there are shops accepting Swiss Francs as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2016 at 15:04:14 #854227

We had a great day in yvoire today despite the wet weather in the morning. We also spent some time in nyor on the way home.

We need some options for one more day in geneva. Any suggestions. We’ve already done the UN and old town. Cheers Jacquie

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 July 2016 at 18:02:18 #854228

Good to hear that Jacquie! There are lots of museums in Geneva. You can have a look on http://www.geneve.com/ en/see-do/museums/, but note it lists some museums not in town too (like the Olympic Museum in Lausanne).

• The thread ‘Geneva travel ideas for 4 nights in July’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.