Short trip to Interlaken from Geneva in October

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 September 2019 at 9:31:38 #824000

Hi.I would like to seek advice on train passes and my itinerary.My schedule is tight, so I wont have much time to travel.However I have managed 3 days(12-14th Oct,2019) to visit Paris for a day and go around Interlaken.I will be in Geneva for a week for work.My itinerary will be as follows:

1. Paris from Geneva on 11th Oct evening.Halt night in Paris.Go around Paris(Lovre museum and Eiffel Tower) on 12th Oct.Travel to Grindelwald from Paris on the same day evening.

2. My base will be in Grindelwald for 1 night (12th Oct)

Itinerary for 1st day i.e 13th Oct will be something like this:

• Grindelwald to First – Hike from First to Bachalpsee lake.Then hike back from Bachalpsee to Bachlager and Bachlager to First.
    • Explore the cliff walk at First. Try the Trottibike
    • First – Grindelwald – Kleine Scheidegg – Wengen – Lauterbrunnen.Just to check the views by train.This plan can be skipped.Not necessary.
    • Return to Interlaken(base for 13th Oct)

Itinerary for 2nd day i.e 14th Oct will be short since I need to return to Geneva for my outbound flight a 8pm. I will have to reach by 3PM to Geneva airport considering 3 hrs train, and 2 hrs for airport reporting.Since I will only have half a day, I plan to something like this:

• Early morning(Probably 6-7am) hike from Interlaken to Harder Klum.Considering 2.5 hrs walk up and 1 hr explore the place.
    • Hike back from Harder Klum to Interlaken. Considering 1 hr walk back.
    • Train back to Geneva by 12PM
    • Train back to Geneva by around 11.30PM-12PM.

Since I will be in Paris just for a day, I wanted to seek advice on what train ticket to purchase.Whether Swiss Travel Pass or a direct train.I tried to look up but its really confusing. I will also need a simcard(data basically,no calls or sms) for Paris and rest of the days in Interlaken, so also please advice on best simcard. Is the itinerary in Interlaken doable? Kindly advice.Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6274 posts
    27 September 2019 at 10:51:31 #922761

Hi Sonamchoki87,
    Welcome to the forum!

Personally I think your itinerary is doable. For your trip between Paris and Geneva, consider getting the point-to-point to tickets. More information here:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france

For your trips to Grindelwald and Interlaken, I recommend the 3-day Swiss Travel Pass
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass

The Swiss Travel Pass will also cover your travel from the nearest station after the French border to Grindelwald, and your return trip to Geneva afterwards. With the Swiss Travel Pass your train journey from Wengen to Interlaken via Lauterbrunnen is free and you also get a 50% discount on the cable car to Grindelwald First. One ticket for everything so you don’t have to worry about buying multiple tickets and risk missing your connection.

As for using local SIM cards, please refer to this link:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/si mcard

Regards,
    Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 October 2019 at 5:45:01 #922762

Dear Anna,

Thank you for the information. I have another enquiry.If I buy the Swiss Half Fare card on 12th Oct,11.30PM, is it only valid till 12th oct, 12:00AM? Can I use it on 13th Oct?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 October 2019 at 10:20:39 #922763

Hello Sonamchoki87,

I don’t understand your question, the Swiss Half Fare Card is valid for A MONTH!
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard

And if it’s valid until October 12th at 12 AM then you CAN NOT use it on October 13th.

Best,
    Steph

• The thread ‘Short trip to Interlaken from Geneva in October’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.