German William Tell play in Interlaken worth it?

• Topher
    Participant
    20 posts
    1 May 2023 at 17:12:00 #829738

Is the Wilhelm Tell play in Interlaken worth seeing even for those who don’t speak German? I speak German and can usually understand Swiss German so I plan on going but I’m wondering whether to drag along my other family members or not (who don’t speak German). I know there’s a 45 minute version with translation available on headphones, but the days we are in Interlaken only correspond to one of the full 3 hour performances. I wonder if the spectacle is enough to keep non-German speakers engaged, at least until intermission? Anybody out there who doesn’t speak German, went to see the play, and enjoyed it?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    1 May 2023 at 18:03:30 #953976

Hi Topher,

I’ve never seen the play but it looks rather interesting from the website. The program also include Swiss cultural displays (e.g. costumes, handicrafts and local culinary delights). Definitely worth visiting if you’re in Interlaken when the play is performed.

Regards,

Anna

Kathy
    Participant
    18 posts
    2 May 2023 at 11:43:19 #953977

My late husband and I went to that play many years ago and unless it has changed greatly I think language is not a problem. It is like no venue I have ever seen before and it has been performed for over 100 years. It is the story of William Tell and I believe that there was included the business of shooting the apple off someones head! There were goats, cows and people on horseback and it was most entertaining. I will admit that we got a quick summery of the story from the owner of the holiday rental where we were staying so you might see if something like that is available or even just google it. Happy travels!

• The thread ‘German William Tell play in Interlaken worth it?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.