Eiger Trail to Eigergletscher station hike detour?

• Ironborn
    Participant
    3 posts
    17 August 2018 at 18:07:27 #817932

I just hiked the Eiger Trail from Alpiglen to the Eigergletscher train station. What an awesome trail! But there is a trail detour near the end, and hikers must enter the station from the detour trail, not the original trail. How is this done? Unfortunately the detour is poorly marked at the Eigergletscher end of the detour, and when I hiked the trail yesterday (16 August), I could not figure out how to enter the station from the trail. There is a lot of construction going on at the station. You can enter a large fenced area through a small gate and walk up a construction road with a big warning sign in German if you dare. I tried that and turned around when I saw the sign and no easy way in. I then tried walking west around the station (through the grass) to reach the south side of the station, but I couldn’t see how to cross to the other side of the tracks, nor did it look like a trail. I walked further west along the trail that goes to Kleine Scheidegg to circle around the station that way, but numerous signs warned of death from falling. None of these routes were marked, except for warning signs. There was one sign near the little gate, which pointed to various trails, but it was not helpful – possibly it was meant for trail users looking for the Eiger Trail to Alpiglen, not people coming from the trail.

I could not continue walking up and down the hills around the station looking for a way in. I was pretty tired and I didn’t dare miss the last train, so I walked to Kleine Scheidegg.

Perhaps ongoing station construction is interfering with the signs. Where did I go wrong? Is there somewhere I can write to ask for more signs?

Also, at the other end of the detour, hikers coming from Alpiglen are confronted with a barricade and warning signs, but the detour does not actually start there but some distance earlier on the trail. A hiker can figure it out and walk through the grass to the detour trail without having to backtrack, but the signs could be better.

But it really is a wonderful trail, and I like it better going up than coming down!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 August 2018 at 18:33:12 #894422

Thanks – a really useful post. Luckily, the walk down to Kleine Scheidegg is not too difficult.

And, yes, if you go the other way, that last downhill stretch to Alpiglen can be annoying. Especially if your knees are not in shape.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2018 at 6:00:33 #894423

Hi Ironborn,

Thanks for the details!

I would imagine it has to do the with new Vbahn cable way. You can write to the Jungfraubahnen: info(@)jungfrau.ch

• The thread ‘Eiger Trail to Eigergletscher station hike detour?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.