Getting around Grindelwald without a car

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2018 at 12:46:13 #816724

Hello-

My family is contemplating getting an 8 day Swiss Pass and travelling solely by public transportation instead of renting 2 cars (there are 10 of us). We have rented a Chalet in Grindelwald. We are wondering if Grindelwald is a small enough town that walking to the train station and to the town center is feasible? We don’t mind a 20-30 minute walk. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

chandni177
    Participant
    55 posts
    18 June 2018 at 16:24:08 #888678

Hello!

I was in Grindelwald with my family last month – best week of our lives 🙂

Grindelwald is pretty big. The best way according to me would be to check the walking distance time and trail from your chalet to the train station. There are buses running, but they might not be very frequent and stop running around 6pm I think. You should be able to confirm here (http://www.grindelwaldbus.ch/ en/timetable)

Hope that helps! Have a great trip!!

Chandni

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2018 at 16:41:46 #888679

Thank you for your reply. We are so excited! The owner of the Chalet sent us the attached maps. From what I can tell It would be doable but sometimes things aren’t always as they seem 🙂

chandni177
    Participant
    55 posts
    18 June 2018 at 16:52:21 #888680

You will not believe this. We stayed 2 min away from your chalet! 🙂 🙂

From the station, it is an uphill climb for a bit and then downhill. Would take around 20 min to walk I believe, but its is gorgeous and absolutely lovely. If you can coordinate with the bus, you skip the first leg (uphill part) while coming from the station. Most days, we walked, but sometimes found the bus on our way to the station. We were out late evenings everyday so always walked all the way back. It is fun and nice if you don’t mind the slope.

chandni177
    Participant
    55 posts
    18 June 2018 at 16:53:32 #888681

Note : The above was for the main station and city center. Grund is a steep downhill walk and then flat road. We just used that to go up to Jungfraujoch on the last day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2018 at 16:54:16 #888682

I wouldn’t rent a car just to get to the town center (where you’ll then need to park the car for the day anyway).

Public transit in Switzerland is, actually, exactly as posted and extremely reliable. If the buses aren’t running at night a taxi would be an easier alternative (pre-book when possible).

You can also use the Swiss railways timetable to show bus schedules. If it is within a town, you can enter the addresses and it shows the bus and walking times. https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2018 at 17:57:14 #888683

Well then you have great insight to my question:). Thank you for all of your information!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2018 at 17:57:57 #888684

Thank you! This timetable will be very valuable!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2018 at 4:46:42 #888685

Hi Willy

Sharing this linking of Jungfrau Travel Pass (tab a price to further view area of validity of this Pass).

http://www.jungfrau.ch/shop/e n/tickets/bergbahn/ang ebote/jungfrau-travel-pass

May

• The thread ‘Getting around Grindelwald without a car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.