Getting cash from ATM”s in Wengen or Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2018 at 3:13:59 #814063

I will be in wengen , for a week , acan anyone help with advise on geting money out of ATM ,s , which banks have ATM,s in wengen or Interlaken (I am from Australia) are there any Australian banks that have access to Swiss banking ATM ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 January 2018 at 3:24:09 #874494

G’day tour2018 and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

I took a Travel Card from the Commonwealth Bank with me. Loaded up with cash before I left and withdrew as necessary. Works like a debit card. Unfortunately you can’t load it with CHF so I had Euros for Germany and just used AU$ in Switzerland. The excchange rate wasn’t that flash but there were no withdrawal fees. You might find this interesting http://www.choice.com.au/trav el/money/travel-money/articles/travel-money-cards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2018 at 7:31:20 #874495

Hi tour2018,

I don’t know about Australian banks and their relationship with Swiss Banks. You will find plenty of banks and ATM’s in Interlaken so withdrawing money won’t be an issue (depending on your bank card and what is works with Plus, Cirrus etc).

There are not so many banks in Wengen….perhaps two. I believe Raiffeisenbank and a PostFinance.

Your best bet is to take out any Swiss Francs you need in Interlaken before heading to Wengen.

kim11
    Participant
    605 posts
    17 January 2018 at 16:07:40 #874496

There are two ATMs in Wengen that I use all the time, no problems.

But, before you travel make sure your bank knows where you are going so they don’t deny the transaction fearing fraud. Also since most withdrawals are charged a flat fee regardless of amount withdrawn I usually withdraw enough cash for a number of days. If you plan to do the same suggest that you also get your bank to raise your withdrawal limit amount so you can get more cash all at once.

• The thread ‘Getting cash from ATM”s in Wengen or Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.