Mid Sep hike up to Gornergrat, down by train?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2019 at 2:58:40 #820753

Hi there,

I’m looking to hike up to Gornergrat, and need to find a good way down.

My plan going up, was to take the cable car up to either Sunnegga or Blauherd… and hike the 5 lakes trail until the Weg der Still trail starts… and from there, go up to Gornergrat. Any advice which direction is better to hike the 5 lakes trail? The east side or the west side?

So after going up to Gornergrat, I am not sure of the best way down..

Is it possible to buy just a 1 way train ticket down the Gornergrat train into Zermatt?

What if I hiked down into Riffelberg? Is it possible to then take the lift down to Furi and cable car down from there?

I’m using this map for reference:

http://www.zermatt.ch/en/Lift s-pistes/Panoramakarten-Facts/Summer-panorama-map

Thanks,

Jonathan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    3 April 2019 at 13:06:20 #908293

Hi Jonathan,

< possible to buy just a 1 way train ticket down the Gornergrat train into Zermatt? >

Yes.

What time of the year would that be?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2019 at 13:43:30 #908294

Oh great! Mid-September

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2019 at 16:24:11 #908295

Hi Jonathan,

You can read all about the route and tickets here: http://www.myswissalps.com/go rnergrat

For the hiking, I am sure others will have good suggestions!

Maria.

• The thread ‘Mid Sep hike up to Gornergrat, down by train?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.