Getting from Bernese Oberland to Lake Como by rail

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2018 at 22:17:20 #815814

Hello

I desperately need advice for a mid- September trip to Switzerland.

I have 6 nights and will be coming from Salzburg, splitting time between (maybe) Wengen and Lucerne and heading to Lake Como. I am using public transport.

I had initially thought of going first to Lucerne for a couple of nights, (lake cruise, Mt Pilatus etc), then to the Bernese Overland with Wengen as a base for 3-4 days, then straight to Italy with the last leg being the Bernina Express.

Is this the best route to do such a journey? Would you recommend going to Lucerne after Wengen and break up the journey in the final days?

– the sbb mobile app tells me the trip from Wengen to italy via Tirino is very circuitous with lots of changes, but doable. Can I send our luggage ahead? If I have a rail pass can I use the app to book the Bernina Express as part of that journey?

Thanks so much. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 May 2018 at 22:31:48 #884561

Hello ChristyG and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Lake Como is a large lake. Which part of it are you wanting to go to?

Wengen to Como via the Bernina Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress) would be a challenge. The BEX departs Chur at 8:32. You can’t book (make seat reservations) the BEX using the SBB App. If you have a Swiss Travel Pass you won’t need a ticket but seat reservation is extra. You can make reservations here. You can of course cover the route on regular trains free with Swiss Travel Pass to Tirano and much more flexible timetable-wise. Read about luggage forwarding here.

I would consider going to Wengen first then Lucerne. From there have a look at the Gotthard Panorama Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress) to get you to Como.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2018 at 12:15:31 #884562

Hi rockoyster

Apologies for the tardy response – unfortunately life often seems to get in the way of travel plans …….

In the meantime the plan has changed. My engineer husband who I assumed would kill to travel the Bernina Express has agreed that it would – your words – be a bit of a challenge. I am now looking at a trip that involves 4 days in the Bernese Overland with Wengen as a base, and 2 days in Lucerne from where we take the Gotthard Panorama Express to end up in Stresa on Lake Maggiore.(thence to Lake Como but I know that’s another forum:)

Can you please help me with the following:

Is there a way to do the trips without too much backtracking – it seems we need to go through Lucerne on both these legs?

And re the Gotthard Express – is it possible to get off the train at Bellinzona (rather than the advertised terminus of Lugano, so to get to Locano and the ferry to Stresa, and can I absolutely avoid the new megatunnel that would totally negate the reason to do a panoramic trip?

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 May 2018 at 21:04:03 #884563

Hello ChristyG,

If you take the Gotthard Panorama Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress) you can get off at Bellinzona. More at bit.ly/2rFs1AV. From Locarno you will need to take a boat to Stresa so check timetables. Just by the way the quickest way to get to Stresa from Wengen is via Domodossola. But that’s a horse of another colour.

From Stresa the easiest way to proceed to Como would be via Milan I would say. That gives you the option to get to either side of Lake Como. Certainly no need to go back to Lucerne although you could also go via Domodossola, Locarno, Lugano.

Between Domodossola and Locarno unfortunately the Centovalli Express is not running due to a landslide. There is a replacement bus service.

Hope that helps.

• The thread ‘Getting from Bernese Oberland to Lake Como by rail’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.