Getting from Lake Brienz to Lake Thun

• malto
    Participant
    9 posts
    11 March 2019 at 22:17:00 #820357

We are staying at hotel on Lake Brienz for a few days then moving to a hotel on Lake Thun. Can anyone suggest the best transportation between the two lakes. I am seeing both train and boat and I’m wondering what would be best of us. Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2019 at 1:44:40 #906277

It will be by bus or train. Save the lake boats for your day trips.

It is not possible to advise in detail as you don’t state the names of the towns/villages you are staying in.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 March 2019 at 2:45:24 #906278

Hi malto –

and, in addition to what 1960man advises, you might have schedule issues with a boat. The Forum Rules encourage posters to give a date for their travels. In this case, it might let us determine if the boats are running. The have very limited service at some times of the year. .

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2019 at 5:26:30 #906279

Hello Malto,

It would be helpful getting some further details on your planned journey.

In any case you can use this timetable link, use advanced one, to find out about possible connections. Make sure you read the instructions of use, should you not be familiar with it.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Get back to us for further support.

Best,
    Steph

malto
    Participant
    9 posts
    12 March 2019 at 17:05:23 #906280

Thank you for your responses, as requested here are some additional details; We will be on Lake Brienz specifically in Giessbach September 5-7 and then on Lake Thun, in the Oberhofen area September 7-10. I am looking for the best form of transportation to get from the hotel in Giessbach to the hotel on Lake Thun, Oberhofen area. I see the best train station for my arrival into Brienz, according to the hotel, is the Brienz Station and the train station I will be using to leave Lake Thun on September 10th is the Thun Station, again according to the hotel. So if traveling by train, these should be the best stations to base my plan on. However, my question here is, is the train the best way to travel between both. Thank you again for your responses.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2019 at 17:21:11 #906281

Hi malto,

I believe that the train will definitely be the quickest and also best option. However, in the link on http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakethun/gettingther e (under “More on other websites”) you’ll find information about the two lakes and the transportation possibilities/timetables on and around them.

You should find details information about how to locally arrive to the hotels on their webpage, too.

Hope this answers your question.

Best,
    Steph

malto
    Participant
    9 posts
    12 March 2019 at 19:06:02 #906282

Thank you Steph! That is very helpful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2019 at 2:59:56 #906283

“I believe that the train will definitely be the quickest and also best option.”

No it’s not in this case, because Oberhofen is on the north side of Lake Thun on the route served (since the railway closed in 1952 ) only by buses

So the boat might actually be the best route:

Boat Giessbach See – Interlaken Ost (1 hour)

(alternative is bus to Brienz, train Brienz – Interlaken Ost)

train Interlaken Ost – Interlaken West

Bus route 21 Interlaken West – Oberhofen

• The thread ‘Getting from Lake Brienz to Lake Thun’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.