Getting to Berne with Lake Geneva-Alps Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2019 at 15:56:12 #820019

Hello all!

We will be in Geneva March 2-9, planning on doing 2.5 days in the city and then some day trips to France and Switzerland. For Swiss travel, we’re planning on a day in Berne and a day in Gruyere/Montreux.

I’m trying to decide if it would be better to do point to point tickets, or get a pass. I think the Swiss Pass is too expensive. The Regional Train Pass Lake Geneva – Alps would work well on our Gruyere/Montreux day, but my question is about Berne.

I know Berne is not in the Regional Pass validity area. Is it possible for us to use the Regional Pass for the the part of the voyage that is in the validity area and then pay for the rest of the trip? Or would the Pass not get us any discount going that far?

TIA!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 February 2019 at 19:37:58 #904630

Hello MelsJ and Welcome to MySwissAlps

Is it possible for us to use the Regional Pass for the the part of the voyage that is in the validity area and then pay for the rest of the trip?

Absolutely. Just buy a ticket for the balance of the trip to Bern before you set off.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2019 at 20:20:18 #904631

Hi Mel and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It sounds like you will definitely get more value for money with the pass you have mentioned: http://www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpasslakegeneva/

Due to the validity area of the pass, and because routes to Bern from that area are either via Neuchatel or Lausanne, it will probably make more sense for you to do the latter (choose a connection via Lausanne/Fribourg) and just buy the differential as Rockoyster suggests.

Here are a couple of links on the regions you’re visiting for further inspiration!

Hope that helps in your planning!

Maria.

• The thread ‘Getting to Berne with Lake Geneva-Alps Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.