Getting to Gelmer funicular from Interlaken

• Glen2019
    Participant
    7 posts
    10 November 2019 at 12:10:12 #824424

Hi everyone!

i was looking at how to get from Interlaken to The Gelmer Funicular in August.

When i use The SBB timetable using Interlaken as my leaving destination and Handegg as my arriving destination it doesn’t seem to recognise or gives me timetables that doesn’t seem to go to Handegg.

Can anyone advise? Or is able to tell me the best route to get from Interlaken to Handegg to do the Gelmer Funicular.

Many thanks

glen 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2019 at 12:42:20 #924920

Hello Glen2019,

Thanks for your question!

The Gelmer funicular leaves near a bus stop called ‘Handegg, Gelmerbahn’: this allows you to find the exact trip in the timetable. From Interlaken the journey is 1 hour and 20 minutes. You’ll first travel to Meiringen by train, and then change to the bus.

For example, enter what I indicated below on the SBB timetable, and there you will see the route:

Details about the funicular can be found at the Grimselwelt website.

Be sure to check this link as well:

I hope that helps!

Best regards,

Suzanne

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 November 2019 at 21:12:58 #924921

See attached, for example. This is from the SBB mobile app which I reckon is the best way to check timetables, find fares* and buy tickets on-line if required is using the SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi). In the unlikely event you don’t have a device capable of running the app then you can use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B). If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions at http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

* The SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, the mobile app allows you to nominate whether to show full or half-fares (by editing the passenger details in settings) and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass) if that offers the best fare. The app also show a platform map (at least at the larger stations) to help you make connections.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 November 2019 at 0:17:20 #924922

You must either travel by train Interlaken – Meiringen – Innertkirchen and change at Innertkirchen into Bus line 171, or travel by train just as far as Meiringen and change into the Grimselpass Bus

Official Timetable PDFs allow you to visualise to some extent the pattern of the bus services.

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/31.171.pdf

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/31.161.pdf

Ashleyrampar
    Participant
    23 posts
    11 November 2019 at 21:34:36 #924923

Hi Suzanne,
    I am also planning to visit GELMER FUNICULAR from Lauterbrunnen and unable to find the right connection.

SBB website says something happens.

You mentioned here

I tried also your mentioned destination but still not working.

I attached the screenshot.
    Please help
    Thanks

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 November 2019 at 21:41:51 #924924

The Gelmerbahn ceased operation on 20 October so not much point going there until next spring when you will again find the bus running.

See http://www.grimselwelt.ch/en/ transport-lift/gelmer.

Ashleyrampar
    Participant
    23 posts
    12 November 2019 at 6:10:00 #924925

Hey rockoyster,

Sorry my mistake, I will be there in July 22 or 23 2020

So I am just wondering what is the right connection to reach there

I will be in Lauterbrunnen and Lucerne July 18 till July 24

I am trying to allocate days for Lauterbrunnen and Lucerne and that’s why want right connection so from where this GELMER FUNICULAR will be near.
    Thanks and appreciate your help.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 November 2019 at 6:18:05 #924926

Hi Ashley,

Attached is a sample connection on 22 July. Screen shot is from SBB app – the very best way to check timetables in my view.

If you are travelling from Luzern to Lauterbrunnen you could always break your journey, leave your bags at Meiringen, and do the Gelmerbahn on your way through.

The Gelmerbahn is almost equal travel time from either Luzern or Lauterbrunnen so it would be more efficient to do it on the way through on the Luzern-Interlaken Express.

While you are in Meringen check out the Aare Gorge as well.

Ashleyrampar
    Participant
    23 posts
    12 November 2019 at 8:27:03 #924927

Really appreciate your help.

I am still learning SBB Website but this one was bit tricky.
    Thanks anyway, may ask more help later on.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 November 2019 at 8:40:10 #924928

No worries Ashley. Get onto the SBB app – it is super simple to use.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 November 2019 at 23:43:51 #924929

The answer to your question is just the same as the answer to the original question, ie you need to reach Meiringen or Innertkirchen to connect to the bus.

Lauterbrunnen is only 20 minutes from Interlaken by train and the trains are frequent. You just need to get to Meiringen or Innertkirchen at the correct time to make the connection with the bus. If you look at the PDFs I posted you will see that the connections from Interlaken Ost are shown (ie xx.04 past the hour) so you need to get from Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken on the trains which depart Lauterbrunnen at xx.32 past the hour

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 November 2019 at 5:57:35 #924930

Hi Ashley and Glen,

make sure you reserve your tickets for Gelmerbahn as soon as you can see it will be nice weather (http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather/forecast). Last time I visited Meiringen, I missed the Gelmerbahn, as every seat was reserved in advance.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 November 2019 at 6:40:11 #924931

Good point Ildiko. Maximum of 24 passengers per ride.

I hadn’t previously read the “fine print” on the Gelmerbahn website.

It says “. . . tickets can be purchased online, at the Grimseltor Tourist Centre in Innertkirchen or at the bottom station of the Gelmer funicular. The tickets are only valid for the ride on the date and time specified on the ticket. Modification, exchanges or refund of the purchased tickets is not possible Important note – The purchased ticket-vouchers have to be exchanged at the ticket office of the funicular not later than 15 minutes prior to departure. In exchange for your voucher, you will be given a time card for the ride (ticket with specified time of departure). If you do not show up in time, your tickets will be made available for sale.

• The thread ‘Getting to Gelmer funicular from Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.