Getting to the Rhine Fall

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2010 at 1:52:27 #803833

Come July, I will be travelling to Switzerland. I intend to do a short trip to Rhine Fall before moving to Lucerne.

How to get to the Rhine Fall from Zurich Flughefan, airport ? Do I need to change train at Zurich HB, can I go directly from Flughefan?

Many sources details from ZurichHB to Schaffhausen, then walk or take local train or bus ride. Other says there are South bank and North bank to view the fall.

So, how is the way to go from Zurich Flughefan. And the way to go if I wish to view the fall directly in front of it ? Is the boat ride there free for Swiss Pass holder. Maybe someone can help to piece the puzzles together.

Also, is there lockers at the train station for me to safekeep my luggage with ?

Thanks

PS: I will remember to bring a rain coat.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2010 at 10:20:13 #831310

There are direct trains from Zurich Airport to Schaffhausen at 1 min past each hour. You can leave your luggage there and take a local train back to Schloss Laufen. Schloss Laufen has no luggage facilities. There are also local buses from the Schaffhausen station that run near the falls that are covered by the Swiss Pass. The boat is the best way to see the falls. It is not covered by the Swiss pass.
    Dick

Arno
    15471 posts
    31 May 2010 at 14:15:23 #831311

Hello MeltyMel. You can plan your train trip from the airport to Schaffhausen with the online timetable. The Schaffhausen rail station is about 3 km from the falls. Rail stations at walking distance are Neuhausen Bad Bf and Schloss Laufen am Rheinfall. Further information is here.

Many larger Swiss rail stations have lockers, but I’m not 100% sure about Schaffhausen. There is a luggage counter (opening hours: Mo-Fr 09:30 – 12:30 and 13:30 – 18:20, Sa 13:30 – 18:00), so you’ll probably be able to store your luggage there in case there are no lockers.

• The thread ‘Getting to the Rhine Fall’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.