Gift from US for Swiss family/host

• MbSchneids
    Participant
    4 posts
    20 July 2019 at 18:52:23 #822955

We are travelling from the US next week to Switzerland and meeting a second cousin who will be showing us around her beautiful country. I would like to bring a gift for her and need ideas on what would be something special from the US that a Swiss 60 something woman would enjoy. Please?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Mark
    Participant
    802 posts
    21 July 2019 at 12:06:54 #918265

Hi MbSchneids

Personally I would take a gift that had some connection to my home area. As I am from East Tennessee I would bring a bottle of limited edition Jack Daniels or maybe a coon skin cap. However even if your from Wisconsin I would skip bringing cheese or chocolate as they have plenty of that in Switzerland.

Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2019 at 4:53:58 #918266

Hello MbSchneids,

What a lovely trait of you, thinking of this while preparing your trip!

I personally also always enjoy receiving something, that the “giver” somehow relates to. So something personal or with a little story to tell behind it.
    Or then something that somehow links to a possible “past” that this person maybe has had in the US something from a “special” are of US music, theatre, art, etc..?!

Overall quite a hard question to answer if you don’t know the person!

Get back to us if you need any further inspiration, I’ll get back to you too if something else jumps to my mind.

Best,
    Steph

Gailannski
    Participant
    45 posts
    22 July 2019 at 12:49:24 #918267

I go back to Switzerland every year and I’m always looking for gifts to bring. I live near Chicago and I took a real nice photo of the city and through the website Shutterfly.com, I was able to have the photo put on various household items. I chose to have my photo put on some dish towels, something anyone can use. I also put my photo on small magnets. These are nice, little gifts friends can put on their refrigerators and are personal with my own photo.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    23 July 2019 at 11:00:54 #918268

How about a cartoon book of Schultz’s Peanuts?

Mark
    Participant
    802 posts
    23 July 2019 at 11:18:38 #918269

Hi Snowman

Personally I rather just have the peanuts especially if dry roasted and lightly salted. Georgians can keep the mushy boiled peanuts. Of course that’s just a personal preference.

Mark

• The thread ‘Gift from US for Swiss family/host’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.