Glacier Express timetable Zermatt to Andermatt

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 December 2017 at 23:08:13 #813827

A bit confused on timetable for the Glacier Express. I only have time to go from Zermatt to Andermatt roundtrip. Can not seem to find a return train or time from Andermatt to Zermatt for the same day. Does this train run all day long? I was going to take the 9:37 from Zermatt to Visp arrive 10:46 then back on train 11:08 Visp to Andermatt 1:20. But can’t seem to find a return train or time. Can anyone help me that has done this trip. Sorry for the long email. Thanks, Susan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 December 2017 at 0:41:54 #872904

Hi Susan, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> I only have time to go from Zermatt to Andermatt roundtrip. Can not seem to find a return train or time from Andermatt to Zermatt for the same day.

The timetable for the Glacier Express varies according to the time of year.

10 Dec 2017-9 May 2018 (winter season)

• Dep Zermatt 8:52 Arr St Moritz 16:40
    • Dep St Moritz 9:15 Arr Zermatt 17:10

10 May-14 Oct 2018 (summer season) Zermatt to St Moritz

• Dep Zermatt 7:52 Arr Chur 13:26
    • Dep Zermatt 8:52, Arr St Moritz 16:40
    • Dep Zermatt 9:52 Arr St Moritz 17:40
    • Dep Brig 14:10 Arr St Moritz 20:58

10 May-14 Oct 2018 (summer season) St Moritz to Zermatt

• Dep St Moritz 7:02 Arr Brig 13:40
    • Dep St Moritz 9:15 Arr Zermatt 17:10
    • Dep St Moritz 10:19 Arr Zermatt 18:10
    • Dep Chur 14:16 Arr Zermatt 20:10

Please note that not all departures travel the whole route between Zermatt and St Moritz and vice versa.

When are you travelling?

>> Does this train run all day long?

As noted above, no – but regional trains do run along the same route all day at regular intervals.

>> I was going to take the 9:37 from Zermatt to Visp arrive 10:46 then back on train 11:08 Visp to Andermatt 1:20. But can’t seem to find a return train or time.

That’s not the Glacier Express. It’s a regional train, but follows the same route as the Glacier Express. Glacier Express trains are designated in the timetable as “GEX”:

I’m not sure why you can’t find a return trip. Are you using the 24-hour clock in your timetable query? And are you using the Swiss Timetable?

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

By the way, if you had time to extend your trip as far as Disentis/Mustér before returning to Zermatt, you would go over the Oberalppass, which is one of my favourite parts of the trip. The climb out of (and descent into) Andermatt is also pretty impressive, and you would miss that if you didn’t go beyond Andermatt. Disentis/Mustér is about an hour further on from Andermatt.

You probably already know that if you take the Glacier Express, reservations are compulsory, but reservations aren’t needed on the regional trains.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 December 2017 at 20:29:31 #872905

Thanks so much for the information. One more quick question about Glacier Express does it stop at all the different stations? Thinking of taking the Glacier Express to Disentis/Muster than get off and take a regional train for return to Zermatt. Is this possible that you know. Also looking at the Golden Pass Line out of Interlaken to Lucern for a day trip. We are staying in Interlaken the second half of our trip. This trip does not appear as long so can explore Lucern for a few hours. Thanks for all the information. Sue

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 December 2017 at 0:59:18 #872906

Hi Sue,

>> One more quick question about Glacier Express does it stop at all the different stations?

No, it doesn’t stop at all stations like the regional trains do, and there are restrictions on the stations at which you can board and alight.

>> Thinking of taking the Glacier Express to Disentis/Muster than get off and take a regional train for return to Zermatt. Is this possible that you know.

Yes, the Glacier Express reservation system will permit reservations for the sector Zermatt to Disentis/Mustér.

You can book your Glacier Express seat up to 90 days in advance on the following site:

shop.glacierexpress.ch /gex_en

>> Also looking at the Golden Pass Line out of Interlaken to Lucern for a day trip. We are staying in Interlaken the second half of our trip. This trip does not appear as long so can explore Lucern for a few hours.

Yes, that is a beautiful trip, and the main town sights of Luzern are close to the station.

Alpenrose

4orgam
    Participant
    12 posts
    18 December 2017 at 17:21:06 #872907

Reading all the above post, it doesn’t seem you can make a day trip from Zermatt to St. Moritz.

What is the best option for a day trip on Glacier Express from Zermatt?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 December 2017 at 19:42:40 #872908

Hi 4orgam,

I’m not sure if I understand your question. Alpenrose has given in her post the timetable for Zermatt to St. Moritz. Could you perhaps please clarify?

4orgam
    Participant
    12 posts
    19 December 2017 at 0:17:20 #872909

Ok, I read the schedule closely I can make a day trip to Chur

Dep Zermatt 7:52 Arr Chur 13:26

Dep Chur 14:16 Arr Zermatt 20:10

Do you think that is enough time to catch the train from Chur to Zermatt?

Thank you,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 December 2017 at 2:15:13 #872910

>> Dep Zermatt 7:52 Arr Chur 13:26. Dep Chur 14:16 Arr Zermatt 20:10. Do you think that is enough time to catch the train from Chur to Zermatt?

Yes, absolutely. I imagine it will actually be the same train you arrived on that takes you back. It arrives in Chur on Platform 10DE (i.e. Platform 10, sectors D and E) and departs again from the same platform 50 minutes later.

You would still need two separate reservations though, one for the outbound trip and one for the return.

Reservations can be made here, up to 90 days before your travel date:

shop.glacierexpress.ch /gex_en

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Glacier Express timetable Zermatt to Andermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.