From Zermatt to Rome with Glacier Express

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2018 at 7:18:13 #814547

Hi

I am planning to travel from Zermatt to St Moritz via the Glacier Express in May. From St Moritz, I intend to travel to Tirano and then to Rome which takes about 6 hours. But this means that there will be 2 full days of travelling which we may find it bored. I was thinking perhaps we could do part of the Glacier Express tour and then back to Rome. Any suggestions on how I should plan the trip? Besides the Tirano route, are there any train stations in Switzerland that connects to Italy?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2018 at 13:20:18 #877398

Hi Lynnlai, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

There is a faster way (7 hours) to get to Rome but that would mean that you would only travel the Zermatt – Brig leg on the Glacier Express. The Swiss train timetable provides details of this trip.

I don’t think you will be bored the first day. The leg St. Moritz – Tirano is beautiful too. Read more here. It’s the so called Bernina Express route. You can do this part of the trip with the ‘normal’ trains by the way. I would just take my time on the second day and get off the train in Tirano for some lunch for example.

Domodossola would be the other place that connects Switzerland with Italy. That’s basically the faster way I was talking about earlier.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2018 at 15:23:12 #877399

Hi Chantal

Thank you for your reply.

May i know what is the difference between Glaciar Express and the normal train besides that GE travels at a slower speed I believe.

To save time, i am thinking of covering part of the GE route by normal train from Zermatt to Andermatt (3hr) and then onwards to Domodossola. In that way i can reach Rome in a day and still cover part of the GE route.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2018 at 16:40:30 #877400

Hi Lynnlai,

The biggest difference is that the Glacier Express train has large panoramic windows. Also more staff on-board, more meal options…a bit more of a tourist experience.

The regional train follows the same route and if you are in a bit of a hurry then I don’t think you will be missing too much.

• The thread ‘From Zermatt to Rome with Glacier Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.