From Zermatt to Rome with Glacier Express

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Lynnlai
Lynnlai
2 posts
Feb 28, 2018 - 7:18 AM

Hi

I am planning to travel from Zermatt to St Moritz via the Glacier Express in May. From St Moritz, I intend to travel to Tirano and then to Rome which takes about 6 hours. But this means that there will be 2 full days of travelling which we may find it bored. I was thinking perhaps we could do part of the Glacier Express tour and then back to Rome. Any suggestions on how I should plan the trip? Besides the Tirano route, are there any train stations in Switzerland that connects to Italy?

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Feb 28, 2018 - 1:20 PM in reply to Lynnlai

Hi Lynnlai, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

There is a faster way (7 hours) to get to Rome but that would mean that you would only travel the Zermatt - Brig leg on the Glacier Express. The Swiss train timetable provides details of this trip.

I don't think you will be bored the first day. The leg St. Moritz - Tirano is beautiful too. Read more here. It's the so called Bernina Express route. You can do this part of the trip with the 'normal' trains by the way. I would just take my time on the second day and get off the train in Tirano for some lunch for example.

Domodossola would be the other place that connects Switzerland with Italy. That's basically the faster way I was talking about earlier.

Lynnlai
Lynnlai
2 posts
Mar 2, 2018 - 3:23 PM in reply to Chantal

Hi Chantal

Thank you for your reply.

May i know what is the difference between Glaciar Express and the normal train besides that GE travels at a slower speed I believe.

To save time, i am thinking of covering part of the GE route by normal train from Zermatt to Andermatt (3hr) and then onwards to Domodossola. In that way i can reach Rome in a day and still cover part of the GE route.

Lucas
Lucas
9928 posts
expert &
Mar 2, 2018 - 4:40 PM in reply to Lynnlai

Hi Lynnlai,

The biggest difference is that the Glacier Express train has large panoramic windows. Also more staff on-board, more meal options...a bit more of a tourist experience.

The regional train follows the same route and if you are in a bit of a hurry then I don't think you will be missing too much.

Last modified on Mar 2, 2018 - 4:41 PM by Lucas

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018