Glacier Express & SBB luggage transfer services

• Sparkyenos
    Participant
    76 posts
    17 November 2019 at 13:23:40 #824477

We will be flying from Ljubljana to Zurich and think our nonstop plane arrives around 4pm. Should we stay at a hotel close to the Zurich airport since we will be taking the train the next morning to St. Moritz?

The other option would be for us to get transportation to a hotel in the Zurich city center close to the train station????

Also I am interested in doing the luggage service provided by Swiss Rail. After we arrive at Zurich airport where do I go to check in my luggage for it to arrive at St Moritz train station or station to hotel?

I erased my original post of information on the Glacier Express from St. Moritz to Zermatt–do we stay on the 8 hr. Glacier express train or get off somewhere else and take another train to Zermatt?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 November 2019 at 15:19:03 #925226

Hello Sparkyenos,

Thanks for your questions on MySwissAlps!

It is totally up to you whether you want to stay by the Zurich airport or near the main train station. From the airport to the main station, it’s just 1 stop away. Depending on which city center hotel you decide to stay in, it would also be around 1 stop away or even a couple of minutes walk away. I will leave a link with some centrally located hotels by Zurich train station. From that link you may also directly book a hotel room.

In regards to the luggage transfer, there is a drop off counter in the SBB train service center at the airport and at the main train station in Zurich. I will include a link about the services for your reference.

You may get off the Glacier Express, and board on another train to Zermatt if you wish. You are not bound to continuously travel the whole journey. I will leave a detail links about the Glacier Express and please refer to the timetable when you plan your train travels.

Good luck!

Best wishes,

Suzanne

Sparkyenos
    Participant
    76 posts
    17 November 2019 at 15:45:15 #925227

As always thanks for your very informative information.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 November 2019 at 17:46:52 #925228

Hello Sparkyenos,

You’re welcome! I am happy to guide you through your planning.

Best wishes,

Suzanne

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 November 2019 at 19:54:32 #925229

Hi Sparky,

Suzanne said “You may get off the Glacier Express, and board on another train to Zermatt if you wish.”

But note that you have to pay for seat reservations for the Glacier Express. It would make little sense to do this and then get off half-way. You could not then rejoin a later Glacier Express with your original reservation. You could of course swap to a regular train.

If you really want to break the journey along the way you should maybe look at doing the whole route on regular trains. Or just make a seat reservation from St Moritz to somewhere earlier than Zermatt. The attached list of stations shows you where you can get off the train. I’m not sure the train stops at all these intermediate stations unless someone has booked to board or disembark there.

Or perhaps I have misunderstood the point or your “. . . do we stay on the 8 hr. Glacier express train or get off somewhere else and take another train to Zermatt?

Sparkyenos
    Participant
    76 posts
    18 November 2019 at 10:45:12 #925230

Thanks ———–I think we will just stay on the Glacier Express for the entire trip.

• The thread ‘Glacier Express & SBB luggage transfer services’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.