Glacier Express afternoon train scenery

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2019 at 19:43:40 #823561

How different is afternoon trains offered by Glacier Express than its normal morning trains. I am planning to take the afternoon train offered by Glacier Express for route from Chur to Zermatt starting at 14.15 hours as morning trains are sold out for my date 06.10.19. What would you recommend as I am travelling with my children aged 5 years and 13 years. Is there any difference in experiencing the scenic beauty between morning and afternoon.

Thanking You,

Jay Mehta

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2019 at 5:31:25 #920899

If you take this train, immediately buy Saver Day Pass and Swiss Half Fare Card because you can now travel from Chur to Zermatt without paying for any money for train ticket. This includes Glacier Express. In another words, you just pay for reservations for seats in GExpress. You do not have to pay for train ticket from Chur to Zermatt. The SDP along with HFC will cover train ticket.

JaneEB
    Participant
    219 posts
    25 August 2019 at 7:19:07 #920900

Hi Jay Mehta

‘Is there any difference in experiencing the scenic beauty between morning and afternoon’.

The cattle may have changed position.

Jane

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2019 at 10:52:32 #920901

Hello Jay Mehta,

I don’t think you need to worry that the scenery will be less enjoyable or scenic in the afternoon compared to the morning. The light will be fading by the end of the tour and you might arrive in the dark, but this can also be quite unique and there’s nothing at all to fear when arriving to Zermatt around 8 pm.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress/pictures
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt

You can also consider taking regular trains, which would mean changing trains, but maybe that’s ok for you too. Use the timetable to see possible connections. FYI, the scenic trains are marked PE.
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2019 at 10:57:20 #920902

Thank a lot for addressing my concern. Will help me a lot to take this call

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2019 at 11:00:49 #920903

You amazed me with your humour which I found out to be sad.

• The thread ‘Glacier Express afternoon train scenery’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.