About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Glacier Express, Excellence Class tickets
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

Glacier Express, Excellence Class tickets

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
TonyS
TonyS
2 posts
Jul 27, 2021 - 10:04 PM

Hello,

First, thank you so much for such a wonderful website! Also, l apologize if this has been answered before, but I have searched and didn’t find any similar postings. So here is my question…

My wife and I will be taking the Glacier Express, Excellence class, from St. Moritz to Zermatt on October. (Crossing fingers COVID does not close it again as we had to postpone from last year). I already paid the reservation so that part is covered. Everything I’ve read indicates that the only thing I need to buy now is a first-class ticket or a first-class travel pass. I looked at the Swiss Travel Pass, and the Swiss Travel Pass Flex, and even with the 25% off it is still cheaper to do the Swiss half fare card as we will only be traveling on 3 days.

So as long as I buy the tickets 60 days in advance, all I need to do is buy a first-class saver day pass for CHF 49 each and it should cover it. Any problems with this scenario?

And if not, why would the Glacier Express site charge CHF 268 for the same trip? Am I missing something here? The difference in pricing is making me question my logic…

Antonio

Ildiko
Ildiko
1263 posts
top member &
Jul 28, 2021 - 8:16 AM in reply to TonyS

Hi Antonio and welcome to MySwissAlps!

If you have a valid Swiss Travel Pass or Saver Day Pass, you can travel for free on the Glacier Express, but you need to reserve your seats (Excellence Class).

Reservations for Excellence Class cost CHF 420 per person and single journey, regardless of the travelled distance and season. You also need a 1st class ticket or pass. You can reserve your Excellence Class seats here: www.happyrail.com/en/pass/europe/switzerland/passholder-fares-glacier-express. If you already have the Excellence Class reservation, you need a first class ticket or a train pass. Saver Day Pass (first class) is a good solution for this: www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass/validity. You can buy it here: www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass/price.

Read more here about the Glacier Express: www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress and www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/tickets

I hope this helps,
Ildiko

PS.: one more thing, at www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass you'll find a downloadable calculation spreadsheet, that will help you to compare your options.

Last modified on Jul 29, 2021 - 5:55 AM by Annika
TonyS
TonyS
2 posts
Jul 28, 2021 - 7:24 PM in reply to Ildiko

Thank you Ildiko.

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2021