Glacier Express from Andermatt to Zermatt

• Powaramit
    Participant
    2 posts
    23 April 2019 at 1:01:49 #821158

Hello Folks,

We are in the final stages of completing our Swiss vacation plans. We have taken a 8 day STP from July 5 to July 12. We plan to take the glacier express from Andermatt to Zermatt on July 7th. I understand, I don’t need tickets as I have the STP but need to reserve seats. Couple of questions on this topic and appreciate your help in advance.

1) Does it matter whether I go on SBB or Glacier express website for reserving a seat? I found the G express site easier to use.

2) The earliest available train is 14:08 from Andermatt. We will be arriving in Andermatt from Lucerne and I am wondering if this departure will give us enough time to make it from Lucerne (I have still not figured out that part of our journey). There is a 15:08 departure as well and I am looking for some insights into choosing a correct departure time from Andermatt. We will be checking out of our hotel in Lucerne that morning and taking a train to Andermatt.

3) We have a first class STP but when I go to make reservations on G express in 1st class I am not getting window seats–so I am considering traveling in 2nd class (we are totally fine with it)…any suggestions on this matter?

Appreciate your help and guidance.

Amit.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 April 2019 at 3:20:22 #910161

1. The Glacier Express site is the only place you can actually select seats from a carriage layout plan.

2. You should be fine to reach Andermatt by 14:08. You need to get from Luzern to Göschenen to Andermatt. Use the the SBB Timetable (bit.ly/2HH1U7B) to plan your travel. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on this page – http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. You could even include part of the Gotthard Panorama Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress) route (not the actual train) to get to Andermatt if you feel like beginning the day with a lake cruise to Flüelen.

3. If you must have window seats and they are not available in 1st Class then go for it. Personally I’m not sure how important window seats are in 1st Class. The windows are very large and the seating is fairly spread out. You get a pretty good view in any seat really. If I’d already paid for a 1st Class seat I think I’d hang on to it. There are 2 window seats on the 15:08. Grab those.

Ajittipnis
    Participant
    87 posts
    23 April 2019 at 4:04:37 #910162

Hi

The first class of GEX is worth to enjoy your journey. Its 2×1 configuration so does not make much difference even if window seat is not available.

You will enjoy this coach with less crowd

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2019 at 23:44:58 #910163

There is no real need to use the Glacier Express from Andermatt – Zermatt. The same journey can be achieved with just one change by regular Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn train – without supplementary fare or the ‘extra hype’ – it’s a much more genuine journey (I travelled on the same line about 10 times in the last two weeks…)

You can get a regular train Andermatt – Visp and change into a Visp – Zermatt service (sometimes although advertised separately one train actually becomes the other at Visp!)

• The thread ‘Glacier Express from Andermatt to Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.