Glacier Express day trip from Chur?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2017 at 2:41:21 #811262

Hi,

I hope you can help me with answers to these questions:

1. We will be staying in Chur. Will the Glacier Express route start in Chur? If so, is there a specific train station in Chur for the Glacier Express? If not, where do we have to go to start the Glacier Express ride?

2. Can we complete the Glacier Express route in a day and be back in Chur at night? We only have one whole day to spare for the Glacier Express. If the whole route is not possible, what route will you recommend for a day tour? Will the same Glacier Express bring us back to Chur?

3. I am planning to get a Swiss Travel pass 4-day continuous. However, it says in the Glacier Express travel info that a Swiss Travel pass flex covers the Glacier Express. Do I need to get the flex then? or will the 4-day continuous pass cover the Glacier Express as well?

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2017 at 7:19:50 #860943

Hi Ronmo,

I think most of your answers and much more can be found on our Glacier Express web page here.

1. Yes, you can start the Glacier Express (GEX) in Chur. Click here for schedules: Search Chur to Zermatt and be aware than standard trains also run on this route. The train you want will be direct (0 connections) and listed as GEX.
    2. You can definitely go back to Chur later that day, but you will not be able to take the GEX train itself in the afternoon departing Zermatt (you will be on almost the same route back though).
    3. Yes, the Swiss Travel Pass will cover the fare on the Glacier Express Train. You still have to book seat reservations however. This is true for everyone on any pass for this train.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2017 at 12:37:37 #860944

Hi Ronmo, I did the same I travelled by Glacier upto Chur and returned to interlaken by regular train. If you look into the trip reports forum you will find it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2017 at 16:48:42 #860945

@Chandraks/ Moderators

i am doing exactly the same thing, but i am spending couple days in zermatt. My question is

what is the best train route from zermatt to interlaken, without making too many changes?

sincerely

Mayur

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2017 at 7:38:01 #860946

Hi Mayur,

You can search for train timetables here. It will give you the quickest route options – it is about 2.5 hours with 2 train changes.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Glacier Express day trip from Chur?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.