Glacier Express train from Lucerne?

Glacier Express train from Lucerne?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
mbprajapati
mbprajapati
21 posts
Mar 28, 2018 - 3:59 PM

I am travelling to Switzerland in July and my tour ends at Lucerne. I am planning to do one day trip in Glacier express. What is the route to follow? At which station I can catch glacier express which is near to Lucerne. Is it a good idea to catch Glacier express train from Andermatt and go till St. Moritz and stay there?

Lucas
Lucas
8935 posts
expert &
Mar 28, 2018 - 7:04 PM in reply to mbprajapati

Hi mbprajapati and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, Andermatt is the closest station to catch the Glacier Express - a long day though to continue on to St. Moritz (Chur would be a little shorter if you aren't set on going to St. Moritz). Are you coming back to Lucerne the same day or going to overnight? If you have a free night I would go all the way to St. Moritz.

You can use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out the trips. The timetable will show the Glacier Express train as GEX on a search from Andermatt to Chur or St. Moritz. You can also take 'regular' trains on the exact same route if you wish for a quicker trip.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3928 posts
expert
Mar 28, 2018 - 9:11 PM in reply to mbprajapati

Andermatt to Chur is probably the best bit of the Glacier Express route but you won’t get to see any glaciers despite the name of the train.

Last modified on Mar 28, 2018 - 9:12 PM by rockoyster
mbprajapati
mbprajapati
21 posts
Mar 29, 2018 - 9:29 AM in reply to Lucas

Hi @Lucas

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I am planning to stay at st. Moritz.

The question is, which portion of Gaalier expresss is more scenic andermat to zarmat or andermat to st. moritz.?

mbprajapati
mbprajapati
21 posts
Mar 29, 2018 - 9:32 AM in reply to rockoyster

Hi @rockoyster

Thank you for reply. yes, I know that in summer, there will be no glacier. but will I be able to see the mountains and scenaries going from andermatt to st. moritz?

rockoyster
rockoyster
3928 posts
expert
Mar 29, 2018 - 9:52 AM in reply to mbprajapati

Sure you will see nice mountain scenery. The fact is there are no glaciers to be seen anywhere along the route, winter or summer. Just didn’t want you to be mislead by the name. 😎

mbprajapati
mbprajapati
21 posts
Mar 29, 2018 - 10:08 AM in reply to rockoyster

By the way, which one is the best scenic train in Switzerland?

rockoyster
rockoyster
3928 posts
expert
Mar 29, 2018 - 7:15 PM in reply to mbprajapati

Personal preference but I enjoyed the Bernina Express (www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress) better than the Glacier Express. Although if you go to St Moritz on the GEX you with cover the same route as the first part of the BEX from Chur.

mbprajapati
mbprajapati
21 posts
Mar 30, 2018 - 8:02 AM in reply to rockoyster

Ok thanks. As I am travelling only one time, I think I would buy point to point ticket rather than buying any train passes.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018