Glacier Express train from Lucerne?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2018 at 15:59:54 #815016

I am travelling to Switzerland in July and my tour ends at Lucerne. I am planning to do one day trip in Glacier express. What is the route to follow? At which station I can catch glacier express which is near to Lucerne. Is it a good idea to catch Glacier express train from Andermatt and go till St. Moritz and stay there?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2018 at 19:04:03 #880209

Hi mbprajapati and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, Andermatt is the closest station to catch the Glacier Express – a long day though to continue on to St. Moritz (Chur would be a little shorter if you aren’t set on going to St. Moritz). Are you coming back to Lucerne the same day or going to overnight? If you have a free night I would go all the way to St. Moritz.

You can use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out the trips. The timetable will show the Glacier Express train as GEX on a search from Andermatt to Chur or St. Moritz. You can also take ‘regular’ trains on the exact same route if you wish for a quicker trip.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 March 2018 at 21:11:37 #880210

Andermatt to Chur is probably the best bit of the Glacier Express route but you won’t get to see any glaciers despite the name of the train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2018 at 9:29:54 #880211

Hi @Lucas

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I am planning to stay at st. Moritz.

The question is, which portion of Gaalier expresss is more scenic andermat to zarmat or andermat to st. moritz.?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2018 at 9:32:25 #880212

Hi @rockoyster

Thank you for reply. yes, I know that in summer, there will be no glacier. but will I be able to see the mountains and scenaries going from andermatt to st. moritz?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 March 2018 at 9:52:00 #880213

Sure you will see nice mountain scenery. The fact is there are no glaciers to be seen anywhere along the route, winter or summer. Just didn’t want you to be mislead by the name. 😎

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2018 at 10:08:47 #880214

By the way, which one is the best scenic train in Switzerland?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 March 2018 at 19:15:52 #880215

Personal preference but I enjoyed the Bernina Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress) better than the Glacier Express. Although if you go to St Moritz on the GEX you with cover the same route as the first part of the BEX from Chur.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2018 at 8:02:22 #880216

Ok thanks. As I am travelling only one time, I think I would buy point to point ticket rather than buying any train passes.

• The thread ‘Glacier Express train from Lucerne?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.