Glacier Express train from Lausanne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 13:40:29 #811585

Hi

I am coming all the way from Australia to Switzerland. I am staying in Switzerland from 3rd of May to 7th of May. I will be staying in Lausanne and I would like to visit the Swiss Alps on a one day trip by Glacier express via Interlaken. Would I be able to make the trip directly from Lausanne or do I have to go to Geneva and then take the glacier express? which one is better to take the glacier express or cable car? How long does the trip with the glacier express take since if I need to take the trip from Geneva then I have to return to Lausanne as I have to present in a conference. Are there trains late at night from Geneva to Lausanne?

Many Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 16:36:57 #862378

Hi Laya58 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I’m not sure if your plan is to try this in one day or not?
    It isn’t feasible to do the Glacier Express in one day from Lausanne. The train runs between Zermatt (3.5 hours by train from Lausanne) and Chur (4 hours from Lausanne). The trip on the Glacier Express itself is about 6 hours in length.

If you would like to combine a mountain experience and a panoramic train, I would really recommend the Golden Pass panoramic train. It runs between Montreux and Luzern. In Luzern there are several mountain excursions you can do (read about them here). This would be a long day but more feasible than the Glacier Express.

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 April 2017 at 22:26:27 #862379

Hi Laya,

Did you see the “Glacier Express” episode of Great Continental Railway Journeys on SBS recently?

That may be why you are confused by the name of the train. The show started off on the Glacier Express at Zermatt but then swapped to another train at Visp (or was it Brig?) and headed West to Geneva etc. Very confusing.

As Lucas recommends the Golden Pass is for you and you can also get a fast train (just over 2 hours) direct from Luzern to Lausanne for your return.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2017 at 10:54:45 #862380

Hi Lucas

Thank you very much for this very useful information. It is such a big relief. I really appreciate the time you spent reading my message and also for the prompt reply. There is also a website called viator.com which offers a one day tour by Gold Pass Panoramic train which leaves from Lausanne. I hope this is a reliable website and I can book the tour with them.

Regards

Laya

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2017 at 13:09:14 #862381

Hi rockoyster

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my message and also thanks for the prompt reply. You’ve guessed right I have indeed watched the SBS episode. Yes I think the Golden pass is a good option as I only have a very short time. Once again thank you very much for your help.

Regards

Laya

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 April 2017 at 20:26:31 #862382

Hi Laya,

An organised tour is a great idea given your limited time. Takes the hassle out of researching train timetables and buying tickets for individual trains. Have you seen http://www.myswissalps.com/la usanne/activities which recommends several Viator offerings.

Arno
    15478 posts
    29 April 2017 at 20:28:18 #862383

Hi Laya,

Viator is certainly reliable. We even list some of their offers on our pages, like here: myswissalps.com/golden pass/packages. The tour you’ve seen is probably this one: http://www.viator.com/tours/L ausanne/Gruyere-GOLD-from-Lausanne/d23235-2510P39. It’s a great tour with lots a variety, but it only includes a small (yet beautiful) segment of the entire Golden Pass line. That may just be want you want though, considering the limited time you have.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 20:54:33 #862384

Hi Rockoyster

Thank you so much for the info. Yes I have checked the Lausanne activities. Do you think it is worth getting a Swiss travel pass or Swiss half fare card as I am staying there for a short time and won’t be able to do much?

Thanks again

Laya

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 21:08:36 #862385

Hi Arno

Thank you very much for the info. It is quite disappointing to know that the tour does not cover the entire golden pass line. Is it worth taking this tour as I would have loved to see the entire Golden pass line route. Are there any other suggestions. In addition, is it worth getting a Swiss Pass travel or Swiss half fare card since I can’t spend much time visiting places

Many Thanks

Laya

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 21:21:20 #862386

Hi Arno

Thank you very much for the info. It is quite disappointing to know that the tour does not cover the entire golden pass line. Is it worth taking this tour as I would have loved to see the entire Golden pass line route. Are there any other suggestions. In addition, is it worth getting a Swiss Pass travel or Swiss half fare card since I can’t spend much time visiting places

Many Thanks

Laya

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 April 2017 at 21:24:27 #862387

Hi Laya,

At a rough guess I would say not especially if your main travel is an inclusive organised tour.

For a 4-day STP you need to spend CHF 259 on travel, museums etc just to break even. For SHFC you need to spend CHF240.

The only way to be sure is to follow steps at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass but from how you describe your plans it hardly seems worth it. I’m not sure if Lausanne hotels provide some sort of free local transport card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2017 at 2:24:57 #862388

>> I am staying in Switzerland from 3rd of May to 7th of May. I will be staying in Lausanne … I have to present in a conference … It is quite disappointing to know that the tour does not cover the entire golden pass line … I would have loved to see the entire Golden pass line route.

Have you given up on the idea of doing the Golden Pass trip by yourself (i.e. instead of taking a tour)? It’s very easily done, providing you have enough time. If you could provide some more details, we could get a better idea of what options might suit you, for example:

— Do you have any free time on your day of arrival?

— What airport are you flying into and out of?

— Will you be attending the conference every day?

— At what time can you leave on each day?

— At what time each day would you would want to be back in Lausanne after an excursion?

— Do you have any capacity to arrive a day or two before the conference, or stay on a day or two after the conference?

— Do you know how to get to Lausanne main station from your hotel and conference venue?

>> In addition, is it worth getting a Swiss Pass travel or Swiss half fare card since I can’t spend much time visiting places

It will be easier to work this out after you have a specific plan on where you will go on each day you are there.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Glacier Express train from Lausanne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.