Glacier Express Zermatt to St. Moritz booked out

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 2:10:11 #816390

Hi.. I was planning to take the Glacier express from Zermatt to St. Moritz on the 21st June. But unfortunately we missed out on the seat reservations and the seats are unavailable now.

As an alternative I can take the GEX fom Brig to St. Moritz. The timings are from 2pm to 11pm. Is it worth it? Since I dont think thee will be good visibility in the evening?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    3 June 2018 at 3:18:39 #887119

How keen are you to get to St Moritz and what are you doing thereafter?

I don’t think an 11:00pm arrival in St Moritz is a great idea but never fear, you can always follow the exact same route on regular trains which require no reservations. The scenery is exactly the same. Maybe have a read of this bit.ly/2rnn1Rb.

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 June 2018 at 14:11:12 #887120

Hi Smita,

The alternative train you mentioned departs 2:10 PM from Brig and arrives 8:58 PM in St. Moritz. There is still daylight in June the whole trip, so if you want to experience the actual Glacier Express and don’t mind a late arrival I’d say it’s worth it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2018 at 22:54:48 #887121

There are two GEX from Zermatt at 08.52 and 09.52. Ironically the third has been cut back “because not many people start the trip from Zermatt any more”

The Glacier Express never arrives anywhere as late as 11pm.

The train you mention from Brig arrives at St Moritz at 20.58. As 21 June is the longest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere it will be light all the way.

Or just take the normal trains along the whole route

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 0:45:41 #887122

Thnaks so much for the inputs. In that case I have 2 itineraries now. I need to finalise one asap in order to not miss reservations on GEX. The idea is to see the Swiss scenic countryside as much as we can .

Option-1:

Day-1:Arrive in Genoa from Paris. Train to Interlaken. Interlaken to be base station.

Day-2: Day trips to Jungfraujoch.

Day-3 : Day trip to Lucerne.

Day-4: Take 2:10 GEX from Brig to St. Moritz. Arrive at 9 p.m. Stay overnite at St. Moritz.

Day-5: St. Moritz to Zurich

Day-6 : Fly back home

In St. Moritz I will not have any time to explore the place though. But I get to see the GEX route. Will it still be worth it?

Option-2:

Day-1:Arrive in Genoa from Paris. Train to Interlaken. Interlaken to be base station.

Day-2: Day trips to Jungfraujoch.

Day-3 : Day trip to Zermatt / or Berne .

Day-4: Arrive in Lucerne. Spend a day in Lucerne

Day-5: Arrive in Zurich from Lucerne

Day-6 : Fly back home

In this Option I get to see the Bermese side…Also between Zermatt and Berne which is a good option? (Im an Architect..would love to consider Berne but Zermatt is a small town experience. Will make the trip more balanced I think becos Ill be doing Lucerne and Zurich also which are bigger places.)

Which itinerary is doable and recommended? Any quick inputs will be highly appreciated since we don’t want to miss GEX the second time.

Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 11:06:49 #887123

Both options can work for you. It sounds like you don’t want to miss the GEX again so perhaps option 1 makes the most sense for you personally?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 23:39:33 #887124

I take it you mean Geneva not Genoa?

A couple of observations:

1) I love Zermatt and recommend it

2) There is no specific need to use the Glacier Express if it doesn’t fit in to your itinerary for this particular trip

The scenery you will see from the trains on other jaunts will be just as nice.

Having said the above, my suggestion would be to include Zermatt and the GEX to St Moritz, and miss out Luzern

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 June 2018 at 1:30:20 #887125

What time are you flying out of Zurich? Do you need to be there the night before your fly out? Lucerne is only 1 hour from the airport.

I would pick Zermatt and the Jungfrau Region as bases and skip the GEX. But it all boils down to personal taste.

• The thread ‘Glacier Express Zermatt to St. Moritz booked out’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.