Glacier Express from Zermatt to St. Moritz

Glacier Express from Zermatt to St. Moritz

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Smita
Smita
8 posts
May 12, 2018 - 1:27 PM

Hi, This is in continuation with my previous post.

From Interlaken I plan to travel to Zermatt to catch the Glacier express upto St. Moritz. It was suggested that instead of Zermatt I can take the train from Brig or Visp.

I wanted to take the entire route from Zermatt so that I am able to pack in as much as I can in the trip.And If possible get a glimpse of Matterhorn from the Zermatt station. Will I be missing too much if I take the GEX from Brig instead of Zermatt?Are the rates for GEX different from Zermatt and Brig?

Lucas
Lucas
7222 posts
expert &
May 12, 2018 - 3:14 PM in reply to Smita

Hi Smita,

Reservation prices are the same, ticket prices (if you don't have a rail pass to cover it) would be slightly less. From what I recall (and others have mentioned as well) that the Zermatt - Brig portion isn't particularly impressive. But getting to Zermatt to see the Matterhorn can be. :)

rockoyster
rockoyster
3709 posts
expert
May 12, 2018 - 9:44 PM in reply to Smita

I’m pretty sure you can’t see the Matterhorn from the Zermatt station. So it depends how long a connection time you have as to whether you have time to go for a wander to get a glimpse. You might want to read this.

Last modified on May 12, 2018 - 9:45 PM by rockoyster
Lucas
Lucas
7222 posts
expert &
May 13, 2018 - 1:37 AM in reply to rockoyster

You can see the top 1/3 if weather cooperates. :) At least if you walk out the station to the street about 1 block.

There are better views of course if time allows

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018