Glacier Express from Zermatt to St. Moritz

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Smita
Smita
8 posts
May 12, 2018 - 1:27 PM

Hi, This is in continuation with my previous post.

From Interlaken I plan to travel to Zermatt to catch the Glacier express upto St. Moritz. It was suggested that instead of Zermatt I can take the train from Brig or Visp.

I wanted to take the entire route from Zermatt so that I am able to pack in as much as I can in the trip.And If possible get a glimpse of Matterhorn from the Zermatt station. Will I be missing too much if I take the GEX from Brig instead of Zermatt?Are the rates for GEX different from Zermatt and Brig?

Lucas
Lucas
10385 posts
expert &
May 12, 2018 - 3:14 PM in reply to Smita

Hi Smita,

Reservation prices are the same, ticket prices (if you don't have a rail pass to cover it) would be slightly less. From what I recall (and others have mentioned as well) that the Zermatt - Brig portion isn't particularly impressive. But getting to Zermatt to see the Matterhorn can be. :)

rockoyster
rockoyster
4594 posts
expert
May 12, 2018 - 9:44 PM in reply to Smita

I’m pretty sure you can’t see the Matterhorn from the Zermatt station. So it depends how long a connection time you have as to whether you have time to go for a wander to get a glimpse. You might want to read this.

Last modified on May 12, 2018 - 9:45 PM by rockoyster
Lucas
Lucas
10385 posts
expert &
May 13, 2018 - 1:37 AM in reply to rockoyster

You can see the top 1/3 if weather cooperates. :) At least if you walk out the station to the street about 1 block.

There are better views of course if time allows

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019