Overnight in Brig, Visp, Täsch or Zermatt?

• AJB1
    Participant
    8 posts
    3 February 2019 at 10:57:24 #819748

Hello

Doing the Glacier Express trip on Friday 31st May, with the Swiss Pass (still undecided whether to book THE Glacier Express or go on local train). Starting in St Moritz.

Sat 1 June (following day) will hopefully do the Gornergrat ride, then back through Brig to Montreux to start the Golden Pass.

I would like some advice on where to stay overnight – either Brig, Visp or Tasch or Zermatt. We do not like very touristy towns. We like to see and feel how locals live. We like a choice of supermarket/grocery shops/bakeries that will give us the option of buying a good evening picnic if we do not fancy or cannot afford a restaurant. We do like to explore the town/village a bit on foot. A mountain view from the hotel would be very nice but not imperative.

We will see the Matterhorn on the following morning so it is not important to stay overnight in Zermatt. From all the inofmraiton I have looked at Zermatt accommodation seems quite expensive.

Another query is if I book the Glacier Express , will the booking only last for one day, in which case we will have to go to Zermatt anyway? (though could retrace steps on local train back to Tasch/Visp/Brig)

Many thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2019 at 11:44:28 #903395

Hi AJB1 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

My suggestion would be to stay in Zermatt if you can find a hotel you like and isn’t too expensive for you: http://www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt/hotels

If hotels there don’t work for you, Täsch would be the most convenient location to access Zermatt.

I don’t understand your question about the Glacier Express booking “lasting” one day. You book seats for one specific train departure to Zermatt (if you take the actual Glacier Express train).

If, after you arrive in Zermatt you take a train back to Täsch or other towns then you buy a new ticket (no reservation needed) for that train trip.

Are you planning on traveling with a Swiss rail pass of some sort? http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses

AJB1
    Participant
    8 posts
    3 February 2019 at 16:18:18 #903396

Hello Lucas

Many thanks for your swift reply! That’s done then, I have found and booked an affordable hotel in Zermatt. I see on google maps that there is a Co Op nearby, and another supermarket too.

I shall be buying a Swiss travel pass for 8 days.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2019 at 16:35:39 #903397

Great!

So if you are using a Swiss Travel Pass then you can hop on and off the trains as much as you like (if you backtracked to Brig for example). See here for where to buy it please: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price. It is just the Glacier Express train that would be one trip only as you must make seat reservations if you take it: http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress/tickets.

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 February 2019 at 20:20:38 #903398

Hi AJB1,

Zermatt is definitely the best place to stay scenery wise. There will be tourists, but in May it should be relatively quiet. If the sky is clear you’ll get some views you wouldn’t get in any of the other towns.

Have fun!

AJB1
    Participant
    8 posts
    3 February 2019 at 20:39:08 #903399

Thank you! Sounds lovely. Much appreciated.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2019 at 1:14:07 #903400

Zermatt is a touristy place, but it is also very Swiss.

There are Migros and Co-op supermarkets in the village ( I prefer Migros as I have been using the since 1960…)

There is a huge range of accomodation and it is no more expensive than anywhere else in Switzerland.

The photo I took (attached) will show you that the centre of old Zermatt is a real village – to this day there are sheep in the ancient barns you can see, and the name of the street is Hinterdorfstrasse (ie ‘back village street’ )

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 February 2019 at 1:40:33 #903401

<“The photo I took (attached) will show you that the centre of old Zermatt is a real village – to this day there are sheep in the ancient barns you can see, and the name of the street is Hinterdorfstrasse (ie ‘back village street’ )”>>

Wonderful picture…well composed to make the point. Some of the villages in the Valais can feel like that, too., as you know.

Slowpoke.

AJB1
    Participant
    8 posts
    5 February 2019 at 14:41:48 #903402

Hello 1960man and Slowpoke and many thanks for your welcome re-assurances! Yes, a splendid photograph that demonstrates the continuation of traditional methods and the fact that us tourists have not completely overrun lovely Zermatt. We shall make a point to find the Migros supermarket that you recommended, thank you!

• The thread ‘Overnight in Brig, Visp, Täsch or Zermatt?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.