Regional train booking on panoramic train routes

Regional train booking on panoramic train routes

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
sherylmcp
sherylmcp
3 posts
Jul 27, 2017 - 9:32 AM

could you please send me the link to booking both the Bernina Express - Tirano to Chur - and the Glacier Express - Chur to Zermatt - we would like to travel on the regional trains on these routes. Recently this was posted for another traveller and unfortunately I have not kept the link. We are 4 travellers and will be purchasing a half fare card. we will also be travelling from Zermatt to Luzerne and then onto the Zurich airport. Is it necessary to purchase our tickets for any of these trips in advance or can we do so at a train station on the day. Our Travel dates are 24th September to 28th September. thanks for your great advice on the website and thru the forum

rockoyster
rockoyster
1049 posts
top member
Jul 27, 2017 - 10:25 AM in reply to sherylmcp

Hello Sheryl,

You can make regional train bookings using the SBB Timetable at www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Happy travels.

Last modified on Jul 27, 2017 - 10:25 AM by rockoyster
Lucas
Lucas
3460 posts
expert &
Jul 27, 2017 - 12:44 PM in reply to sherylmcp

Hi Sheryl,

If you are not traveling on the panoramic trains you do not need (nor can) make reservations on the regional trains. You can buy the tickets online here with your Swiss Half Fare Card if you want, or at the station before boarding the train.

Lucas

Last modified on Jul 27, 2017 - 12:45 PM by Lucas
Brahms
Brahms
321 posts
top member
Jul 27, 2017 - 12:55 PM

September is not high season in Switserland. I think. Reservation is not necessary. It is also not possible on local trains. We have been travelling in Switzerland by train for more than 30 years and we have never made any reservations.

Greetings Brahms

rockoyster
rockoyster
1049 posts
top member
Jul 27, 2017 - 10:41 PM in reply to sherylmcp

My apologies Sheryl. When I said "You can make regional train bookings using the SBB Timetable . . ." I was clearly not concentrating. What I should have said was "You can buy tickets for regional trains using the SBB Timetable . . ."

Last modified on Jul 27, 2017 - 10:41 PM by rockoyster
Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
1232 posts
top member
Jul 28, 2017 - 6:07 AM in reply to sherylmcp

>> Bernina Express - Tirano to Chur - and the Glacier Express - Chur to Zermatt - we would like to travel on the regional trains on these routes. ... will be purchasing a half fare card. we will also be travelling from Zermatt to Luzerne and then onto the Zurich airport. Is it necessary to purchase our tickets for any of these trips in advance or can we do so at a train station on the day. Our Travel dates are 24th September to 28th September

In most cases, there is no real advantage to buying your tickets ahead of time, as tickets do not sell out. Once you have bought a ticket, it is valid only for that day. Tickets bought online are only refundable in specific exceptional cases.

Before buying tickets online in advance, you might find it helpful to read about the conditions attached to online purchases from the SBB:

www.sbb.ch/en/travelca rds-and-tickets/buying-options/online/faq.htm l?WT.ac=linklistteaser-ts-faq-default

Alpenrose

Brahms
Brahms
321 posts
top member
Jul 28, 2017 - 8:51 AM

For this local trains you can easy buy your ticket on the station where you start the trip.

Tickets for local trains are never solld out.

Greetings Brahms

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017