Glacier Express seat reservation and luggage

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2019 at 20:58:21 #823341

This is my first posting. I hope some readers would be able to help us.

We are a family of 4.
    We have 4 days Swiss Travel passes and would like to make seat reservations on Glacier Express from Andermatt to Filisur on 24 August 2019. We plan to depart from Andermatt at 11.54am to reach Filisur at 15.41pm. Then by regular train to Zurich.

Could you advise us on

1. how to make the seat reservations ? When I tried to reserve on the website. It quoted me the train and reservation tickets.

2. Can we bring our luggage on board the GE train?

3. we also would like to explore the Landwasser Viadict before returning to Zurich. Is there a place for us to store our luggages for a couple of hours?

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 August 2019 at 21:22:46 #919787

Hello Kitikat and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

If you reserve seats here then you get to nominate a reduction (eg Swiss Travel Pass) on the next screen after you select seats.

You can buy “seat reservations only” here, but you won’t get to select seats.

If you take regular trains instead of the Glacier Express you can avoid reservations, be more flexible time-wise and by-pass the rather pointless trip into and out of Chur.

Yes, you can take luggage just like any Swiss train.

There do not seem to be any lockers at Filisur station.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 August 2019 at 4:52:16 #919788

You may be interested in this – http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/landwasser-viaduct-visit-is-easy-this-summer.

Also this thread which indicates FIlisur Station has a left luggage service. http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/luggage-locker-at-the-rail-depots-in-filsuraigle

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2019 at 13:04:05 #919789

Hi Rockoyster

Thank you so much for your input. It is most helpful.

The idea of catching a mini train closer to Landwasser Viaduct is tempting.

We are now contemplating whether we should travel by regular train to Filisur to coincide with the mini train time table for Landwasser Viaduct and then make a return trip via GE to Andermatt for our base in Lucerne.

Do you think this plan is feasible?

Thank you

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 August 2019 at 20:21:55 #919790

For the journey you are planning I don’t think I would bother with the GEX. You could return to Luzern via Davos, Landquart and Zurich for some scenic variety.

• The thread ‘Glacier Express seat reservation and luggage’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.