Glacier Ex. reservation & Brig – Zermatt must see?

• rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 March 2017 at 6:30:17 #811080

Hi Folks,

My wife I have reservations for the GEX from Brig to Chur on 22 May. It is too early to purchase the actual tickets. When they become available do I need to buy them from shop.glacierexpress.ch or can I buy them direct from SBB. Is one way better than the other?

We had planned to arrive Brig from Basel on 21 May and stay overnight in Brig.

Now wondering if we would be better to travel from Brig to Zermatt and take GEX fro Zermatt instead of Brig. Is the Brig – Zermatt leg unmissable bearing in mind we plan to do every other conceivable scenic route around Switzerland over the following 3 weeks. ie Bernina, Gotthard Panorama, Voralpen, Golden Pass.

If we changed the GEX booking would we need to pay separate reservation fees for the Zermatt – Brig leg or would they be likely to agree to extend the reservation.

The other alternative is to skip a day in Basel and arrive in Brig a day earlier than planned then on the free day just take a regular train Brig-Zermatt-Brigg roundtrip. I presume the route and scenery is just the same on the regular trains as on GEX. So am essentially weighing up whether a day’s sightseeing in Basle is better use of our time than a trip up to see the Matterhorn.

So many options so little decisiveness. Sorry to ramble on – any advice greatly appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2017 at 13:27:19 #860116

Hi rockoyster,

Where you buy the reservations from does not matter so don’t worry there!

I am not sure if they would agree to extend the reservation without any extra fee -my experience is it is unlikely.
    Correct, the scenery is the same whether you are on the GEX train or not. I wouldn’t cancel a day in Basel just to do this route to and from Brig, in fact I don’t think I would worry about missing it entirely – you are seeing a lot on your trip!

Of course the final decision is yours – another member may chime in to say not to miss it but from what I recall it won’t wreck your holiday if you skip that section 😉 Have a read through our description of the GEX routes here.

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 March 2017 at 2:54:22 #860117

Thanks Lucas. We’ll stick to our original plan.

• The thread ‘Glacier Ex. reservation & Brig – Zermatt must see?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.